Oil for tuned/modded E63 AMG

Hi everyone, long time lurker here. I have been less than satisfied with the oils I have had in my (relatively) new to me E63. I have done one oil change so far and am coming up on the 3500 mile mark that I like to change at and need recommendations.

Car came to me with oil change at dealer with Pennzoil Euro 0W40. I changed it after 500 miles when I needed to change coils and plugs. Oil was a bit thinner than expected.

On the change, I used LM 0W40 on recommendation of my Indy Merc mechanic. I have noticed more "noise" from the engine and upon sampling the oil I have found it to be thinned out.

2015 E63 S AMG, M157 engine; Bi-Turbo 5.5L V8
The car is tuned and modded with ECU tune, TCU tune, intakes, and downpipes currently. Sitting around 650-700WHP depending on the dyno.
The car is a DD (short commute), taken out 2-4 times a week for roll racing and drag racing, spirited highway runs, and some upcoming Sebring track time (time permitting these days!).

My change interval I do for my cars is 3500-5000 miles.

I live in SWFL, so temps 3/4 of the year are avg. 80-90F when car is used. During winter months, 50-75F avg.
Oil Temp at cold start 3/4 of year is 75-89F. Winter is 59-69F.
Average Operating Oil Temp for just driving regularly sits between 196-216F.
Average Operating Oil Temp for "spirited" driving regularly sits between 216-230F.
For my DD commute, Oil Temp reaches about 180F-190F by the time my commute is over, dependent upon cold start temperature.

Based on that, what do you all recommend?
Thank you in advance and any other info you guys might need to give a good recommendation, let me know!

Take a look at Ravenol oils that meet the right MB spec for your engine.
Has not used Ravenol by my self but hear a lot good about thyr fully syntetic oils from people here around that drives tuned German cars as MB, BMW, Audi and Porche

M1 0W-40, or Castrol Euro Car 5W-40 if M1 is too "noisy" for your tastes. I like how Castrol has dealt with fuel dilution in my VWs. Easy peasy at your next Walmart foray.

Edit: for @TiGeo's sake. Stay with LM (5W-40) and do FCP Euro for the LRG. There, happy?
I'm just not impressed with the LM, not to say it's bad and I used it in my Volvo S60 religiously. But, if there is a higher quality that will quiet it down and not thin out as quickly, I don't mind paying for the quality.
Pretty much any A3/B4 40 grade is going to be more than adequate.

Mobil/Castrol 0w40, Mobil 8100 X-Cess Gen2, Ravenol... There are a ton of options
These are all good for the more taxing use cases as well? I'm not concerned about cost, but not looking to put Motul 300V price-wise every 3.5K-5K, although FCP Euro does carry it so LRG might work haha!

Any 229.5 oil will be fine I'm using quaker state euro 5w-40 since it has about all the good euro approvals. In an engine like that i think I'd change every 3k just to keep the turbos clean. I run it out to 7-9k in my na gdi 6.2.

Hi everyone, long time lurker here. I have been less than satisfied with the oils I have had in my (relatively) new to me E63. I have done one oil change so far and am coming up on the 3500 mile mark that I like to change at and need recommendations.

Car came to me with oil change at dealer with Pennzoil Euro 0W40. I changed it after 500 miles when I needed to change coils and plugs. Oil was a bit thinner than expected.

On the change, I used LM 0W40 on recommendation of my Indy Merc mechanic. I have noticed more "noise" from the engine and upon sampling the oil I have found it to be thinned out.

2015 E63 S AMG, M157 engine; Bi-Turbo 5.5L V8
The car is tuned and modded with ECU tune, TCU tune, intakes, and downpipes currently. Sitting around 650-700WHP depending on the dyno.
The car is a DD (short commute), taken out 2-4 times a week for roll racing and drag racing, spirited highway runs, and some upcoming Sebring track time (time permitting these days!).

My change interval I do for my cars is 3500-5000 miles.

I live in SWFL, so temps 3/4 of the year are avg. 80-90F when car is used. During winter months, 50-75F avg.
Oil Temp at cold start 3/4 of year is 75-89F. Winter is 59-69F.
Average Operating Oil Temp for just driving regularly sits between 196-216F.
Average Operating Oil Temp for "spirited" driving regularly sits between 216-230F.
For my DD commute, Oil Temp reaches about 180F-190F by the time my commute is over, dependent upon cold start temperature.

Based on that, what do you all recommend?
Thank you in advance and any other info you guys might need to give a good recommendation, let me know!
It's not uncommon for 0w40 oils to initially drop in grade and then move back up thorough the factory recommended oil change interval.
You engine is water cooled so ambient temps are not an issue in day-to-day driving and I imagine your vehicle also has an oil cooler. Any 229.50 technically works. If you want something quieter and easy to find perhaps:
M1 Formula M 5w40 (MB Dealership)
M1 Euro 5w40
Pennzoil Euro 5w40
QS Euro 5w40.

Just remember the viscosity of typical Euro 40 grades skew towards the bottom of the viscosity range. If you want something thicker then look at Redline 5w40 Professional series but that's going to be a few more $$.

It's not uncommon for 0w40 oils to initially drop in grade and then move back up thorough the factory recommended oil change interval.
You engine is water cooled so ambient temps are not an issue in day-to-day driving and I imagine your vehicle also has an oil cooler. Any 229.50 technically works. If you want something quieter and easy to find perhaps:
M1 Formula M 5w40 (MB Dealership)
M1 Euro 5w40
Pennzoil Euro 5w40
QS Euro 5w40.

Just remember the viscosity of typical Euro 40 grades skew towards the bottom of the viscosity range. If you want something thicker then look at Redline 5w40 Professional series but that's going to be a few more $$.
I don't mind paying more if the product quality warrants it. I have look through many threads and your mention of Redline brought up the Redline vs Amsoil vs HPL vs Motul I've seen on some threads. Between the non-229.5 certified "boutique" oils, do you have a preference that you'd recommend for my application? Thanks!

Welcome to BITOG 🎉

Is your E63 a wagon? :D

M1 0w40 will probably work great in your car.
Sadly the sedan! Wagons command a premium and are exceptionally rare comparatively. I wish the performance wagon category was more of a thing in the US. I've been obsessed with them ever since I got to drive a 2015 Volvo V60 T6 R-Design back when I had my S60.

Any 229.5 oil will be fine I'm using quaker state euro 5w-40 since it has about all the good euro approvals. In an engine like that i think I'd change every 3k just to keep the turbos clean. I run it out to 7-9k in my na gdi 6.2.
Thanks for the input on lowering the interval. Most people I've told my interval to call me crazy. But, I'd rather buy oil than a new engine for any of my vehicles.

I don't know if any 5w-50 oils or 10w-60 BMW oil would meet your standards but thought I'd mention them since you don't like oil looking so thin.

I don't mind paying more if the product quality warrants it. I have look through many threads and your mention of Redline brought up the Redline vs Amsoil vs HPL vs Motul I've seen on some threads. Between the non-229.5 certified "boutique" oils, do you have a preference that you'd recommend for my application? Thanks!
Only my anecdotal , "M1 0w40 should be used in everything". For me personally changes in engine sound when moving from one oil to another don't phase me, but everyone is different. You have a lot of options to choose from. IMO on the short OCI it's not going to matter what you use. @Astro14 and others who currently own a high horsepower MB can provide more insight.

Just don't use T6. ;)

Thanks for the input on lowering the interval. Most people I've told my interval to call me crazy. But, I'd rather buy oil than a new engine for any of my vehicles.
You could go longer and it'll be ok as these are long drain rated oils but in the end why on such a high output hot running engine that also costs a lot. Better to be safe than sorry.

Just don't use T6. ;)
I've used T6 with great results in turbocharged engines. I've also used M1 5W-40TDT and M1 motorcycle oils 10W-40 and 20W-50 in very high output turbocharged engines.

Just a thought for oil choice. The HP output of a forced induction engine can be considered on a HP per cylinder basis, as a rough way to determine viscosity. While this does not account for all the variables, including the inertial loads of high RPM (which can be excessive), it is easy to understand at a glance. Anything over 75HP per cylinder will absolutely need a 30 viscosity oil, or more. Lots of assumptions here, but for performance automotive engines, rod bearings are limited in size and don't vary all that much.

As always, maintaining a modest oil temperature goes a long way towards protecting your engine. We can, with great effort, use 0W-8 oils in very high output race engines in an attempt at reducing oil related losses. This is done by actively managing oil temp to somewhere in the 160ºF range.

The wider the viscosity spread, the more likely that additives are used to achieve the spec, such as viscosity index improvers and pour point depressants. And as so many people find out, the oil often shears down rapidly.

HPL has a post on this forum with some oils that don't have VII's. Might look into those for something quite robust.

I'd choose a robust 5W-40.

Run Mobil1 0W40, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40, Motul X-Cess 5W40 GEN2, Castrol Euro 0W40.
I tracked BMW with all of them, ran M1 0W40 to 300f oil temperature and 5k OCI.

Sadly the sedan! Wagons command a premium and are exceptionally rare comparatively. I wish the performance wagon category was more of a thing in the US. I've been obsessed with them ever since I got to drive a 2015 Volvo V60 T6 R-Design back when I had my S60.
A fast wagon is a rarity, and quite fun to own…

IMG_2682.jpeg

Only my anecdotal , "M1 0w40 should be used in everything". For me personally changes in engine sound when moving from one oil to another don't phase me, but everyone is different. You have a lot of options to choose from. IMO on the short OCI it's not going to matter what you use. @Astro14 and others who currently own a high horsepower MB can provide more insight.

Just don't use T6. ;)
I would think anything meeting 229.5 would be good. Even in the twin turbo V12, which is down a few horsepower on yours, the Mobil 1 0W40, holds up for the full 10,000 mile interval.

My wife’s SL 600, which has the twin turbo V-12, is currently running that oil. I’ve got several UOA showing it holding up and performing well for the full interval

Anything on the MB Bevo list will be just fine.

If you want the “very best“ in oils, I will humbly recommend High Performance Lubricants. I’m currently running the 5W40 Supercar in my S 600 (also, twin turbo V12). 7,700 miles on it to date. Will pull a sample at 10,000 and see how it looks.

Back