So...any thoughts on the latest/greatest 504/507 oil for VW diesels?

Bought the Valvoline the last couple changes for my fleet. Have used M1, Ravenol, Red Line and others. I have become more cost conscious as I have learned that manufacturer approval is what I should be seeking rather than individual performance on new and used oils. Any thoughts on the latest Valvoline LL-III Euro 504/507 versus other cost competetive brands?

If it's approved it's approved. Use with confidence.
Yeah, the Euro oils with their performance-based standards are generally more consistent, as a certification would imply. Sure there are ones that may look at little better on paper, but as long as the oil is on VW’s list of approved oils it will be good stuff. If it also carries Porsche or MB approvals that would imply to me it’s a solid choice.

I want the best protection for the turbo but need the least ash production for the DPF life. The euro oils are squirrelly in their labeling and I have found out the hard way that not all of them are 504/507. The long life aspect is of the least use to me as I change at least once a year or 8k miles on brands that are approved up to 15-20k miles. I also prefer the 5w30 over the 0w30 as I am personally prejudiced in this regard.

I want the best protection for the turbo but need the least ash production for the DPF life. The euro oils are squirrelly in their labeling and I have found out the hard way that not all of them are 504/507. The long life aspect is of the least use to me as I change at least once a year or 8k miles on brands that are approved up to 15-20k miles. I also prefer the 5w30 over the 0w30 as I am personally prejudiced in this regard.
Sounds like you might want 2 call the guys at HPL, since you want the best!

As already said. For your 8k interval just buy the cheapest oil that is approved to 504/507 I don’t see the point in HPL if you are not going to do used oil analysis and try and extend the interval.

Sounds like you might want 2 call the guys at HPL, since you want the best!

You seem to miss this very first sentence:

Have used M1, Ravenol, Red Line and others. I have become more cost conscious as I have learned that manufacturer approval is what I should be seeking rather than individual performance on new and used oils.

I have no clue about Valvoline LL-III Euro. I'd vote for M1 ESP 5W-30 anyway, it seems to be among the best of the affordable VW 504 00/507 00 approved currently available. Ravenol VMP? Better on paper, but much pricier. Ravenol REP? No VW approval. Redline? No VW approval (no longer). HPL? No approvals at all. All of them more expensive than M1.

Reactions: 4WD
Bought the Valvoline the last couple changes for my fleet. Have used M1, Ravenol, Red Line and others. I have become more cost conscious as I have learned that manufacturer approval is what I should be seeking rather than individual performance on new and used oils. Any thoughts on the latest Valvoline LL-III Euro 504/507 versus other cost competetive brands?
If it meets 504/507 it will do the job

Probably meant XL-III, not LL. Used it in son's 2017 GLI and cleaned upper valvetrain varnish. Would use again, however it has become more expensive than the ESP 5W-30 which I use now.

Yup, typo.

Attachments

• 384198213_862758635365150_322422245938635049_n.jpg
    384198213_862758635365150_322422245938635049_n.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 79
Back