VS30 Sprinter Oil Specs

No they do it so consumers who prioritise price over quality can still afford to buy a premium brand filter.
That would be true if the price went down. The price doesn't go down though, the price tends to stay the same and the profit margin simply increases.

Hahahaha.... I am sorry for starting this. We can all have our own opinions of what we consider quality.

Why is the Bosch factory being in China an issue?

They will use the same materials, same manufacturing processes and same quality control as if they were made in Europe.

If the consumer wasn’t so price focussed then they wouldn’t have had to reduce costs.

So is this a Manufacturer issue or a consumer not wanting to pay issue ?
You must not have heard of the "Third shift" with regards to Chinese manufacturing. Using this filter as an example. The operators of the primary factory making the Bosch filter sub-contract some production to another factory who has significantly cheaper manufacturing cost but QC won't be the same. This product is then intermingled and packaged with the primary manufacturer OR product not meeting QC from the primary manufacture is sold out the back door. This used to be an issue with electronic components coming out of china as counterfeits had always been a problem. Think counterfeit memory modules.

Apparently this type of scenario occurred with a manual transmission Ford used in some of their mustangs.

It's a cultural issue.

Last edited:
Bought a new 2022 Sprinter 2500 4X4 with OM642 3.0 diesel engine last year. These things do not come standard with an oil dipstick, so I immediately purchased and installed one. See picture of factory fill oil at 325 miles. I did my first oil/filter change at 5,000 miles even though Mercedes-Benz recommends 20K mile OCI. I did not feel comfortable going 20K especially with a new engine breaking in. UOA looked OK to me. I'm almost to 10K miles now, so I'm getting ready for my 2nd oil change, but I'm looking for some insight from others.

The owner's manual states that I can use oil that meet the following specs

What are the pro's and con's of each oil spec? What oil is everyone else running in their 3.0 diesels?
Get Pentosin HP2 5w40 from FCP Euro with lifetime guarantee. It's 229.51 .I prefer 5w40. I have a Grand Cherokee CRD WK (double chain) and except for one, I have always used 5w40. I had extra 5w 30 ESP left over for another vehicle so I used it. Then I used 5w40 ESP formula M which discontinued and replaced by 0w30😯(No thank you) So I was going to go with Pentosin, but found Valvoline 5W40 European which was 229.51 (505.01 also, for my Golf PD) Valvoline reformulated and now it is neither 😡(but says recommended 505.01 but under actual spec doesn't meet it 🤣🤣🤣)

You must not have heard of the "Third shift" with regards to Chinese manufacturing. Using this filter as an example. The operators of the primary factory making the Bosch filter sub-contract some production to another factory who has significantly cheaper manufacturing cost but QC won't be the same. This product is then intermingled and packaged with the primary manufacturer OR product not meeting QC from the primary manufacture is sold out the back door. This used to be an issue with electronic components coming out of china as counterfeits had always been a problem. Think counterfeit memory modules.

Apparently this type of scenario occurred with a manual transmission Ford used in some of their mustangs.

It's a cultural issue.
I try to avoid ChiCom made products. For my VWs, UFI fuel filters are Red Chinese made, even OEM w/VW label by IGI, I can get Hengst or Mahle made in UE for similar price and not support child labor Taiwan is good.

Back