Havoline ProDS Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chevron-Havoline ProDs 5w20 seems to be their step child. I ran 5w20 in Van and changed it out at 3k but on lawn equipment I put the 5w30 version and after all summer I just started mowers up which they are still quiet. Little dirty but survived the heat. I even thought about going with 5w30 in my Caravan for a yearly run but since the Valvoline Daily is holding up so much better I will see. Only 4 months and 2500 miles so far. I have a long way to go.

Been using DS 5 w 30 full synthetic for about 30 k miles in a DOHC3.0L in the freestyle and I have had no problems with 5 K oci
Uses about half a quart so I don't the volatility is an issue this engine just turned 167k miles and I just got a good lab back from Blackstone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BLND1
Considering Chevron is rather well known for their reluctance to spend money on marketing or labeling I wouldn't be surprised if their 5w20 meets the D1G2 standard and they simply don't pay for the license on a grade that very few GM vehicles require. You'll note it caries the updated Ford -B1 spec.

GM has committed to 0w20 as its preferred grade so why bother?

Their gas is about the only ads I see from Chevron and it's not very often at that. I honestly can't recall the last time I saw an add for their lubes or coolant etc..I think they mostly work through wholesale fuel companies and what not. There's one not too far from me, if you have an account with them they can get you most any Chevron product.

Originally Posted by Nitronoise
Been using DS 5 w 30 full synthetic for about 30 k miles in a DOHC3.0L in the freestyle and I have had no problems with 5 K oci
Uses about half a quart so I don't the volatility is an issue this engine just turned 167k miles and I just got a good lab back from Blackstone.

Volatility can effect fuel efficiency in a small way if the oil really thickens up some and if you have an oil burner, than it might be advantageous to chase low noack.. but then the question is, to what cost? There is a legit argument for using low(er) noack lube if you have a turbo for mitigating varnish and deposits..but for a NA, port injected engine running proper, you'll likely not notice any difference between say an API noack of

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back