Best value on Full Syn motor oil

With all of the different brands of motor oils out there, and opinions on this and that how can an average person decide on what is the best value oil for someone wanting to do ~6k mile OCI? I use a 5w-30 and have live in a location that sees hot summers and cold winters.
I could spend 100 hours reading complicated reports and watch Project Farm videos and others. I have been buying what ever is on sale in the Full Syn category and never had an engine failure in different cars for 40 yrs. I never noticed any difference. How can people say I try x or y and it did not work good in my engine? How are they judging it? I could just pay up for Ames Oil or can save $50 and buy the less expensive Walmart Supertec or Amazon Basics FS oils. Does it really matter in a practical sense? If it does matter, what is the best value on Full Syn oil? Does it have to be as complicated at it appears?

Nope. Bitog is social media, where small things are magnified and made complicated to engage with an audience, and keep them coming back more for that dopamine rush. The folks who have more demanding tasks for their machines, usually are plugged in with specialty
firms like HPL or AMSOIL, and come to a data driven application specific conclusion.

You are welcome.

Basically whatever lowest cost but well certified oil. Qs euro 5w-40 is $4.60 a qt and St 15w-40 is $3 a qt both of which i run a lot.

Value is good but there's no point in going too deep into it to where you overcomplicate it. I researched what specs are the standout ones then which one had what specs and bought the lowest price option with them and that's it.

OK, I had to look up what GTL means. Now I know. I have seen Made form Natural gas on Some Penzoil products. In layman's terms, why is that the better option? Other than Pennzoil, who else is using GTL technology.? Thanks!!!!

I have been buying what ever is on sale in the Full Syn category and never had an engine failure in different cars for 40 yrs. I never noticed any difference.
This has always worked for me and I have never fretted about it. I have always bought whatever reputable oil is on sale that meets the vehicle specs. The sale price is what decides the brand I buy. Where I live, that generally means either M1 or PUP, they are always on sale at some point in a year or have a rebate - I don't think one can go wrong with either of those. I certainly enjoy all the discussions and details and I take most of them seriously but nothing influences my decision more than the price / rebate of the product. Have I ever used boutique or "not on sale" lubricants, of course, but it is not routine. Just my thoughts, do what it right for you.

You should be able to routinely find a good name brand synthetic on sale for only a few dollars more than Supertech or Kirkland, which don't tend to go on sale. Pricier boutique oils are also difficult to find on sale. Mobil 1 or PP on sale is the sweet spot for price/performance for me.

With all of the different brands of motor oils out there, and opinions on this and that how can an average person decide on what is the best value oil for someone wanting to do ~6k mile OCI? I use a 5w-30 and have live in a location that sees hot summers and cold winters.
I could spend 100 hours reading complicated reports and watch Project Farm videos and others. I have been buying what ever is on sale in the Full Syn category and never had an engine failure in different cars for 40 yrs. I never noticed any difference. How can people say I try x or y and it did not work good in my engine? How are they judging it? I could just pay up for Ames Oil or can save $50 and buy the less expensive Walmart Supertec or Amazon Basics FS oils. Does it really matter in a practical sense? If it does matter, what is the best value on Full Syn oil? Does it have to be as complicated at it appears?
stick with the 5w30 no need to change that. hunt for sales coupons etc.. Both Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum are darn good oil for the money. Depending on the vehicle "turbo, direct injection" super tech, Kirkland and Amazon basics synthetic would probably be at the end of its life doing 6k oci's. Better sticking with Pennzoil, Mobil, Castrol or Valvoline brands.

Usually run 0w-40 M1 oil and my engines haven't blown up,,, but then I could run any quality oil with the proper ratings and get the same results.

OK, I had to look up what GTL means. Now I know. I have seen Made form Natural gas on Some Penzoil products. In layman's terms, why is that the better option? Other than Pennzoil, who else is using GTL technology.? Thanks!!!!
It's Shells patented method of extracting oil from natural gas. They say it ends up being a high quality group III base oil w/less impurities. There are other companies that buy that base oil from Shell to use in their own brand also. It's supposed to have better NOAK, better thermal performance, & other attributes. It seems to allow for longer drain intervals also. The great thing about it is you can get it for cheaper than non GTL products. Right now Pennzoil has a $25 rebate & any of their "Platinum" labeled products are GTL.

Last edited:
We have two cars and both commute about 30 miles one way, mostly highway, and put about 1500 per month per car. About 7500 interval for both cars. A Toyota and Subaru. The best value to us is either: 1. The better quality Super Tech filter and either NAPA on sale, Super Tech, or Kirkland synthetic. They're all about the same price or 2. Pay the dealer $55 with a coupon to do it and get a car wash and vacuuming with the oil change.

This is a good question to ask. It's never been fully figured out in this site.

I haven't read yet, but I'm assuming there's a few people really excited to share them only use $20 filters and $15/qt oil because that's the best value to them.

Back