2020 VW warranty...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know they are reducing the bumper to bumper warranty from 6 years 72,000 miles to 4 years 50,000 miles. However, I can not find any info on the 2020 powertrain warranty. What gives? Is it also only 4 years 50,000 miles?

VW's recent 6/72 warranty was a market share grab and was only intended to be temporary: help people forget diesel-gate and give buyers a little confidence that VW is reliable.

Nissan? heh.

After my awful and painful VW experience, nothing but an extended long term warranty would entice me to purchase one again. My experience was so bad, even GM's worst looks positively glowing in comparison.

VW knows that their customer doesn't care that much about reliability. This public will never buy an European brand anyway: they're all driving Toyotas or Hondas. So, reducing the cost of their warranty is a good cost reduction move. They will also sell more extended warranty. The margin is HUGE on these...

IMO VW over the decades are known for their elegance of design and performance. Offsetting that is the unreliability of those systems and parts. Gots to take the good with the bad.

I believe they reduced it all to 4yr/50k.

The good buy will be a 2018 or 2019 Cerfitied VW due to steeper depreciation and they add another 1yr/12k to the original 6yr/72k warranty.

Likely consider an Atlas or Passat 2018/2019 in this scenario if the pricing is enticing enough. Passat's are soooo cheap used/certified and reasonably reliable.

Last edited:
The warranty cut and the discontinuation of the best product, Golf Sportwagen, means VW might as well be a german Nissan to me now.

I got in just in time. The Passat was a Demo with 7K miles. I got them to do the oil change, wiper replacement plus the requisite points inspection before delivery.
The 6yr/72K B2B played a significant part in my purchase as they were trying to get me into a 2020.

I must say, after many years of VWs back in the 90s and early 2000s, it's nice to be in one again.

Last edited:
Good grief, even our 2014 had a 5 year 60K mile powertrain? They really cut the powertrain warranty back? Stupid move on their part IMO. That doesn't instill much confidence.

German engineering is haphazard contrary to popular belief.

German business ethics is even lower than American business ethics, and I didn't think that was possible.

Who needs the aggravation?

Last edited:
All I know is that I now know three people who drive an Atlas and all three have been stranded in compromised situations by their Atlas at least once. One poor person three times now for an electrical problem and the dealership has no idea what's wrong or how to fix it. Their attitude is it only happens every few months and all you need to do is disconnect the battery terminal so just live with it. Her longer warranty doesn't mean much right now. She's afraid to drive the car out of town. Yes, she's now looking at her options.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PWMDMD
All I know is that I now know three people who drive an Atlas and all three have been stranded in compromised situations by their Atlas at least once. One poor person three times now for an electrical problem and the dealership has no idea what's wrong or how to fix it. Their attitude is it only happens every few months and all you need to do is disconnect the battery terminal so just live with it. Her longer warranty doesn't mean much right now. She's afraid to drive the car out of town. Yes, she's now looking at her options.

Everything I have read about the Atlas indicates it was not ready for prime time. People should do research before purchasing a vehicle.

Be careful of Subaru's and their push-button ignition switches. Sometimes it doesn't work, and Subaru roadside assistance is worthless.

Happened on a ski trip last year, on a Sunday, ready to go back on a ski club member's brand new Ascent.

It's a common problem, which I had to google for the answer (and how to reset it).

And I'm considering the Ascent if VW doesn't offer a turbo AWD SEL-Premium configuration. Need boost for mountain elevations for ski trips.

Last edited:
If they want to make money selling extended warranties that probably 6 out of 10 new buyers will throw money at these days, they had to reduce those terms.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Be careful of Subaru's and their push-button ignition switches. Sometimes it doesn't work, and Subaru roadside assistance is worthless.

Happened on a ski trip last year, on a Sunday, ready to go back on a ski club member's brand new Ascent.

It's a common problem, which I had to google for the answer (and how to reset it).

And I'm considering the Ascent if VW doesn't offer a turbo AWD SEL-Premium configuration. Need boost for mountain elevations for ski trips.

That is my biggest issue with Atlas. But then, CVT in Subaru? No thanx.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by UG_Passat

That is my biggest issue with Atlas. But then, CVT in Subaru? No thanx.

I rather drive a manual, but since the Tiguan isn't available with a manual with 4Motion... automatic it is.

While the Tig is in the shop, I have a Rogue Sport with a CVT. Aside from lack of power and torque, the Jatco CVT isn't that bad. It most of the time mimics a regular transmission....and I don't plan on rock crawling, to the point that the ECU gives up and cuts power, since the TFL folks in Boulder can seem to do this on Nissan and Subaru CVT's

The 18/19 warranty was an attempt to get people back on a VW lot. The 20 warranty is still fairly competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back