Never the cheap part that goes bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 16 year old riding mower is starting to have some problems with speeding up on downhills and jerking/slipping on uphills. I had never changed the belt so I gambled (hoped) a new belt would fix it. $21 and a sweaty T shirt later I proved the old belt was still good. That's the bad news. The worse news is that the transaxle is a Tecumseh, so they are out of business. Sears has a new Peerless that will fit for $310 or there are some used ones on eBay for around $150. Swapping it out would probably only take a couple of hours, but I'm not certain how many hours the engine has left. I don't want to be like one of those guys who has a $1000 car with $3000 worth of parts on it.

I really wish it had been the belt
smile.gif

Most of the new mowers you see are HD/Lowes, from Cub Cadet/retail-level JD/Troy Bilt/Craftsman/Bolens are all MTD junk. In my personal opinion, I'd say the repair may at least be worth considering due to the fact that you aren't going to get anywhere near the quality you have right now.

Fixing a older corolla vs buying a new Fiat 500 if you will LOL

16 years? If it's a low end rider (Crapsman, Yardman, etc.) then you've gotten your money's worth out of it. Ditch what's left and get yourself another similar lawn tractor and be happy for another decade.

If it's a quality mower and the hours are low, then replace the transaxle and continue on. But since you reference Sears I'll assume it's a crapsman and not worth repairing.

Originally Posted by joegreen
What's wrong with the transaxle. Can it be taken apart and fixed?

Not sure what's wong without taking it apart. I'm not sure I would know unless it was obvious. The problem with repairing it is the availability of parts since Tecumseh went out of business a few years ago.

I imagine parts + labor would end up costing more than just buying a new one and replacing it myself.

16 years is a wonderful run for the machine. Let it go, let it go.......

My experience was putting about $300 of parts into 17 year old simplicity then the mechanical steering went which was insane money and involved welding in fix. Outside my pay grade of skills.

If the rest of the mower is in decent shape I'd go with the used eBay transmission. These are very easy to replace. Two bolts on each side, some control rods, a belt, and the wheels.

Check with your local Home Depot for end of season clearance on a customer returned and repaired mower. I bought a used Poulan 19.5hp B&S single that way for 600 out the door. Was like brand new. Only repair that I have done is replace the battery and oil changes. I mow nearly an acre and it has a 42 inch deck. Sticker under the hood for service reads Husquvrna. You might find something you like. I had a handle mower as I call them but gave it to my son. I will stick to what I am used to.

"never the cheap parts" i hear ya.. but some times even the cheap parts ain't cheap...
couple weeks back, we took the Deck off of Dad's 42" cub. (general clean up and blade sharpening) while putting it back on, My brother notices the main belt is twisted(otherwise it looks fine, just twisted between the 2 pulleys), and the main pulley is just floating on the output shaft...seemed kinda strange, but it didn't look like there should have been a bolt, so he straightens the belt out, gets everything put back, and we put the mower away.

the next week, I get it out, mow the whole yard(1.25acre) refill the tank, and when i go to start it up (to drive it back to the shed) there's a loud metallic clanging/ringing noise. take a look underneath the main pulley is just dangling on the end of the shaft, smaking into it's safety cage. dad puts the trolley jack under it, pushes the pulley back into place, I try to start the motor, it falls right back down and clang, clang, clang goes the pulley.
dad calls the dealer, finds out there should be a bolt there, and that's likely the problem, but the shaft itself could be broken, in which case he'd need a new motor, which would basically cost the same as a new mower($1700).
they send a guy out to pick it up. this is on thursday right before labor day weekend, so we're not expecting to hear anything until at least monday.
a FULL WEEK goes by with no contact. dad calls them on friday, "oh yeah, it was the bolt, but the belts needed to be replaced, and we had to order one of them in. we should have it back to you by NEXT weekend.

which they did, delivered it the following friday, with a bill for over $220. $90 of which was the pickup and delivery.
$220 and 2 WEEKS to replace a Bolt and 2 belts(that didn't really need replacing) from the mainline cub dealer in the area..

Originally Posted by Elkins45
Originally Posted by joegreen
What's wrong with the transaxle. Can it be taken apart and fixed?

Not sure what's wong without taking it apart. I'm not sure I would know unless it was obvious. The problem with repairing it is the availability of parts since Tecumseh went out of business a few years ago.

I imagine parts + labor would end up costing more than just buying a new one and replacing it myself.

The Reason dad bought this Cub back in '09, was that the transaxle in the last one went out. and they quoted him about $1600 to replace it. he just bought a new mower instead.
the service guy at the dealer bought the old one, fixed the transaxle, and is still using it.(i'm sure it didn't cost him $1600 to fix it)

Last edited:
Is it a Peerless LTH-2000? Just curious how many hours you figure you got out of it. They're actually a pretty decent hydro transaxle given the drive and differential housings are separate and hold their own fluids. My ~2008 is still going strong, but it's got low hours on it. I've never gotten the ambition to drop the arse-end out of it, flip it over to drain the hydro oil and gear oil and add new. I've owned it since ~2012.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by earlyre
"never the cheap parts" i hear ya.. but some times even the cheap parts ain't cheap...
couple weeks back, we took the Deck off of Dad's 42" cub. (general clean up and blade sharpening) while putting it back on, My brother notices the main belt is twisted(otherwise it looks fine, just twisted between the 2 pulleys), and the main pulley is just floating on the output shaft...seemed kinda strange, but it didn't look like there should have been a bolt, so he straightens the belt out, gets everything put back, and we put the mower away.

the next week, I get it out, mow the whole yard(1.25acre) refill the tank, and when i go to start it up (to drive it back to the shed) there's a loud metallic clanging/ringing noise. take a look underneath the main pulley is just dangling on the end of the shaft, smaking into it's safety cage. dad puts the trolley jack under it, pushes the pulley back into place, I try to start the motor, it falls right back down and clang, clang, clang goes the pulley.
dad calls the dealer, finds out there should be a bolt there, and that's likely the problem, but the shaft itself could be broken, in which case he'd need a new motor, which would basically cost the same as a new mower($1700).
they send a guy out to pick it up. this is on thursday right before labor day weekend, so we're not expecting to hear anything until at least monday.
a FULL WEEK goes by with no contact. dad calls them on friday, "oh yeah, it was the bolt, but the belts needed to be replaced, and we had to order one of them in. we should have it back to you by NEXT weekend.

which they did, delivered it the following friday, with a bill for over $220. $90 of which was the pickup and delivery.
$220 and 2 WEEKS to replace a Bolt and 2 belts(that didn't really need replacing) from the mainline cub dealer in the area..

I fix small engine stuff for family/friends on the side and the dealer horror stories I hear are just amazing. My neighbor had a John Deere rider which the belt fell off the deck. I had just moved in so she wasn't aware I fixed mowers and called a local JD dealer. Turns out one of the idler pulleys had a bad bearing, so they replaced the pulley. It took them 3 weeks to replace the pulley and put the (original) belt back on, and with pickup/delivery she had a bill north of $400. She asked me to help her put the bagging system on the tractor the day they brought it back (because they would charge her more to do that) and I check the oil to find it empty. $400 bill and they can't even make sure it has oil in it.

Originally Posted by CT8
Have you checked the oil in the trans?

No. See below.

Originally Posted by JTK
Is it a Peerless LTH-2000? Just curious how many hours you figure you got out of it. They're actually a pretty decent hydro transaxle given the drive and differential housings are separate and hold their own fluids. My ~2008 is still going strong, but it's got low hours on it. I've never gotten the ambition to drop the arse-end out of it, flip it over to drain the hydro oil and gear oil and add new. I've owned it since ~2012.

It's a Tecumseh gear transmission. I think the series is 206. The Peerless replacement is 794691. The fact you have to essentially disassemble the tractor just to do basic maintainence is idiotic. For all I know popping the plug and squirting some oil might fix it, but that's almost exactly the same amount of work involved in just replacing it.

Originally Posted by Elkins45

It's a Tecumseh gear transmission. I think the series is 206. The Peerless replacement is 794691. The fact you have to essentially disassemble the tractor just to do basic maintainence is idiotic. For all I know popping the plug and squirting some oil might fix it, but that's almost exactly the same amount of work involved in just replacing it.

Ah.. Gotcha.

Yeah, the fact it's a gear drive, it sounds like gears aren't meshing anymore. Could be worn thrust washers, bushings, etc. Who knows.

Many of the peerless gear drive transaxles has spring loaded keyways that the gears slide on. Over time, they would loose their tension and begin to jump.
They are still readily available last I checked, and a set would cost about $30, plus a bottle of bentonite grease to repack the transaxle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back