First snowblower re-power of the season

Early 1970s Ariens snowblower for a neighbor down the street. The old engine was blowing smoke and tired. He looked at the price of a new Ariens ($2000+ at the local dealer) and decided to re-power this one. I dropped in a Predator 212cc, replaced the belts, tires got tubes, new skid shoes, and replaced a few bushings/bearings here and there along with a gearbox service. I painted the chute as well.

The only issue is these Predators are jetted pretty lean for emissions, and they will surge when running full throttle in the winter. To remedy this I drill out the stock carb jet from .028" to .032", also swap the China plug for an NGK, and run it for a few hours with 15w40 for break-in then changed it out with Traveller 5w30 I had on hand.

Runs mint now, I love saving these old machines.

IMG_6310.jpg
IMG_6311.jpg

Nice. Dont you usually need chains on those? or is it flat driveway?
Flat driveway, and this one has the differential where you can lock the wheels together or unlock it for turning. It actually came with chains when he bought it, but he took them off since he didn't want to scratch his driveway.

When I had a dirt driveway, I *hated* the differential. On a locked axle on my cheaper machines, when it hit a rut, it would stop, then bounce around a bit, bump over the bump, and then keep going straight. The big Ariens that I repowered? it'd just swivel around the rut as it had tire chains and lots of traction. Never really got around to using on pavement, maybe it'd love it there.

I used a 6hp to replace a 10 and it just wasn't enough. Tried that route as I didn't want to mess with trying to get everything lined up, the bigger engines had different bolt patterns or something. Pretty cool that you can do that and have it work (mine worked a couple years, then the engine froze, it's sitting out in the back 40 now, waiting for when I feel like pulling out again).

When I had a dirt driveway, I *hated* the differential. On a locked axle on my cheaper machines, when it hit a rut, it would stop, then bounce around a bit, bump over the bump, and then keep going straight. The big Ariens that I repowered? it'd just swivel around the rut as it had tire chains and lots of traction. Never really got around to using on pavement, maybe it'd love it there.

I used a 6hp to replace a 10 and it just wasn't enough. Tried that route as I didn't want to mess with trying to get everything lined up, the bigger engines had different bolt patterns or something. Pretty cool that you can do that and have it work (mine worked a couple years, then the engine froze, it's sitting out in the back 40 now, waiting for when I feel like pulling out again).
Snowblower on a dirt driveway is just no fun, my old house had a dirt driveway. I'm not sure what I hated more the uneven frozen bumps or throwing gravel into my yard with the snowblower. I had an early 1980s Toro 724 back then and it was hammered by the time I finally had the driveway paved.

I really like the predator on mine too. I never did turn up the gov to +4000 rpm. I just left it alone and the power is night and day over the sluggish teky. I dont care how clean you make the tecumseh run, they can never run as good as the predators.

I really like the predator on mine too. I never did turn up the gov to +4000 rpm. I just left it alone and the power is night and day over the sluggish teky. I dont care how clean you make the tecumseh run, they can never run as good as the predators.
Agreed, the Tecumsehs can run okay, but they run really rich and most are pretty worn out by now. The modern Predator really breathes new life into these machines since they now start on the 1st or 2nd pull, are quieter, have more power, and are much better on fuel.

This one is set at 3600 RPM with the tach, which is only slightly faster than the old engine was showing. You don't really want to go any higher than that, because then your travel speeds are noticeably faster which isn't what you want on a snowblower. You can run 4000 RPM without much issue if you remove the governor, but if I build them for a customer I add a billet connecting rod and billet flywheel just for safety.

Nice! That OHV predator will wake that machine right up.

It looks like original paint on that old Ariens as well. Your customer took really good care of that machine.

The two 15-20yr/old toros I'm just finishing up on are rusted badly.

Nice! That OHV predator will wake that machine right up.

It looks like original paint on that old Ariens as well. Your customer took really good care of that machine.

The two 15-20yr/old toros I'm just finishing up on are rusted badly.
Yes this machine was garage stored its entire life, the serial number shows it is a 1978. These generation Ariens have really good paint, I like the Toros too but the paint is their weak spot.

That is a beautiful install. Looks original, not bodged like mine. I'd be very interested in some pictures of the chute control. Mine works, but it is a little awkward to use. Mine is parts of various Ariens Sno-Thros. When I had a Grand Wagoneer, I gathered several freebies. The engines were old enough to have points and the pumpkins were cast iron, I have spares and I keep belts and a new drive disc on hand. Snow has been light, It sits, for months at a time but starts easily whenever exercised.:cool:

Very nice job! I like these old machines, some thick sheet metal bent up a bit, a few pulleys and a gear box or two, and your blowing snow, or mowing the grass, or tilling the garden...
Biggest problem I have with them is keeping air in the tires... My blower now has expanding foam filled tires with chains which seems to give good grip and keep the rim from spinning in the tire...

Looks great and good build but believe it will be underpowered I would bet it was a 8 or 10 that was originally equipped with.

That is a beautiful install. Looks original, not bodged like mine. I'd be very interested in some pictures of the chute control. Mine works, but it is a little awkward to use. Mine is parts of various Ariens Sno-Thros. When I had a Grand Wagoneer, I gathered several freebies. The engines were old enough to have points and the pumpkins were cast iron, I have spares and I keep belts and a new drive disc on hand. Snow has been light, It sits, for months at a time but starts easily whenever exercised.:cool:
Here are pics of the chute control, this being a slightly later model (924 series) it has the chute control up on the dash panel, with the u-joint linkages, so it is a bit easier to fit the Predator.

IMG_6329 copy.jpeg
IMG_6330.jpeg

I ran a Prediator on an MTD for 9 years with no problems. I ran it about 3900 RPM. with an impeller kit it threw great and never clogged. It was a bit too fast in 1 gear for deeper snow. I just pulsed the drive lever as needed. It is not a cold weather engine so you need to open the jet and if you are a serious snow remover you need to shroud the governor links to keep snow and slushy water from impacting its operation. If you can wait for the snow to stop before using it you are fine. Just keep it dry. If water freezes on the link you are in trouble until it melts. A nice up grade on a 179cc LCT, Powermore or older 5 HP Tecumseh. I think I will do another one soon.

Back