Should I change belt on zero turn mower?

I've got a Toro 48" deck zero turn mower that I'm going to change blades on. The mower is at least nine years old and has 160 hours on it. The first few summers I had 1.5 acres to cut but the last seven years just a half acre. Since I'll be taking the deck off to replace the blades would it wise to replace the belt while I'm at it?

Thanks for any tips or advice.

If you want but i still haven't changed the oe belts on my old 08 deere and it's fine. it really only goes bad when you smoke it by running it with a seized hub or it's decades old and completely rotted away which mine isn't.

If the belt is cracked or glazed you might want to replace it. I have had OE belts last 30 years , rubber is better now, and company bean counters are more aggressive. Is is the belt good quality or not. Who knows. Condition is what to go by.

You should not have to remove the deck to swap blades. My toro zero turn has close to 200 hrs, i changed the belt because i had to take it off to rebuild spindles. If its not frayed, glazed or slipping, run it.

You have to take the deck off to swap out the blades?
I actually bought the replacement blades last summer. I sprayed WD40 on the bolts and let them sit. Then banged on them with a hammer to try to loosen them but I couldn't get the bolts off to remove the old blades. Then I figured it would be best to wait for the off season and remove the deck to make it easier. Make sense?

I actually bought the replacement blades last summer. I sprayed WD40 on the bolts and let them sit. Then banged on them with a hammer to try to loosen them but I couldn't get the bolts off to remove the old blades. Then I figured it would be best to wait for the off season and remove the deck to make it easier. Make sense?
How long have the blades been on there since they were last removed?

They are the original blades from when I bought it new nine or ten years ago.
They probably should have been removed to be sharpened before now but they haven't.

Last edited:
My zero turn is a 2014 John deere. When I got it in 2018 (roughly 100hrs) the belt looked rough so I replaced it when I did the blades. That belt broke on me this year mower has around 200hrs on it (small yard). I'd go ahead and replace it and keep the old one as a spare. Deck shouldn't have to come off to replace it and why not just use an impact for blade removal?

Sounds like a great time to buy an impact wrench

Belts are cheap relative to being stuck with a half mowed yard replacing it under pressure.

I've got a Toro 48" deck zero turn mower that I'm going to change blades on. The mower is at least nine years old and has 160 hours on it. The first few summers I had 1.5 acres to cut but the last seven years just a half acre. Since I'll be taking the deck off to replace the blades would it wise to replace the belt while I'm at it?

Thanks for any tips or advice.
1. Look at the Belt, and if it is fine, it is your call!
2. Do you blow the Mower off after each use, in the area where the belts are? If No , then maybe change the Belt!
3. Do you mow when the grass is wet, if Yes, change the Belt.

I got rid of a Riding Mower that had 950 Hours on it, and it had the Original Deck Belt on it.

There's also a second belt, called the drive belt, which transfers power from the engine to the transmissions for travel over the ground. It is up high in the machine and difficult to replace. If you do remove the deck you should at least inspect it.

They are the original blades from when I bought it new nine or ten years ago.
They probably should have been removed to be sharpened before now but they haven't.
Oh my gosh, your poor yard!

I would use an impact, and with the stress of dull blades, replace the belt.

I would look at the belt before you pull the deck. If it is cracked replace it, if not it is probably fine. 160 hours isn't that many, almost new in my eyes. If you do need to replace the belt, only use a Toro OEM belt on those mowers, they last the longest.

Same mower I have. I take the deck off every fall, takes 5 minutes and it's not a hard job. I also take the blades off, sharpen them and put them back on. While the blades are off, I clean the deck and cover it with fluid film or something similar underneath and park it for the winter. I keep a spare drive and blade belt around and only change the belt when it breaks as it's not going to damage anything when it lets go.
The drive belt is a bit more work, takes all of maybe 15 minute. It takes longer to get it back to the garage if I'm ambitious, if not I'll do it on the grass.

It's always good to have a second set of blades.

Use a breaker bar and they will come loose. Spraying the bolts will accomplish nothing. I never had to remove a deck to change blades. In most cases with the newer mowers, you don't need to totally remove the deck to change the belt either.

Back