Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Fawteen
It's worth it.

Looks like Gulf Shores/Orange Beach. My wife and I stay there every fall in Oct/Nov. Not too hot, water's still warm, and the summer tourists are gone, and the snowbirds haven't arrived yet.

I escaped from the Midwest ~ 20 years ago and never looked back. I only visit my son & family in IL one a year. When I turned 60, I found I didn't like snow sports anymore. Ed

My advise for retirement is to plan many years in advance financially. I paid my home off 15 years before retiring and have had no debt since then. Of any kind.

Originally Posted by tig1
Have dined at Capt. Andersons several times with a cruse or two on their boats. I also like Sharkies.

Well whats not to like about Sharky's! I'll be there two weeks from tomorrow, cant wait.

cheers3.gif

Retired two years now; still in my late 50's. One of my favorite sayings is......Nobody on their death bed ever said, "I should have worked more".

Originally Posted by Inked
Retired two years now; still in my late 50's. One of my favorite sayings is......Nobody on their death bed ever said, "I should have worked more".

Good for you!!!!

And the saying is true. However, retirement takes money, unless living in squalor is acceptable.

To your saying, I'd like to add the FACT that people are not living longer lives today, in fact there has been a slight drop in American male lifespan. We can not count on living to 90 or 100. Let's put that another way, the "extended" lifespan today includes far fewer; infant deaths, war deaths, and adult illness/accidents.

i retired at 62 , 2 years ago...was ok for the first few months then started going stir crazy...went back to my old job part time , 20 hours a week...I guess after being in the home remodeling game all my life my body just couldn't stop and sit around..i need physical work and mowing and work around the house didn't cut it

I would love to have a good seafood dinner.Not going to happen out in the middle of fly-over land. And something else I would like to have, a good steak place. We have more beef on the hoof than we have residents but can one find a decent piece of prime rib? Been here twenty years and thought good steaks would be a cinch to find. Not so. Omaha has its share of well know steak places but I avoid that place like the plague. Bah Humbug.

Originally Posted by CT8
Pics with man legs and feet belong on face book.

When you're retired, especially early, you don't much care what others think.

Retired at 64 from a job I loved, and was dragged kicking and screaming away. Needed to take care of elderly parents out of state. They have now passed and I'm wrapping up their estate.

Now, I realize I overshot the retirement date by about 4 years. It doesn't take a lot of money to live well as long as you are flexible on where you live. I'd have to be crazy to want to live in a big expensive city when there are so many great places out there with a cost of living less than half that of LA, NY or Frisco (yes, I said Frisco intentionally).

My first day of retirement was May 1, 2015.
Haven't missed working at all, at least the stress that was a byproduct of it.
I still might do something part time, if something interesting comes along.
However, I have kept busy and always have ample things to do.
Being 57 and retired is nice.

Originally Posted by billt460
I'll be retired 5 years this December. I still have not experienced my first day of "boredom". It's easy to keep busy relaxing, and doing the things you enjoy.

Sept 1 marked my 13th year and frankly I don't know how I ever found time to work! Oh and just so my employer is wondering yes I plan on drawing 13 more years of retirement or more.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
I too retired 5+ yrs ago. It was about 1 1/2 - 2 yrs that I couldn't remember exactly what day it was anymore. Everyday is Saturday!

That would be me if I didn't still have a child in school.

I just retired August 1st of this year. 36 yrs spent at the Darlington Nuclear Plant was enough.

Freedom 55 was always a goal I had I am glad I was able to stick to it.
cheers3.gif

darlington-generating-station-full.jpg

Wonder how the rebuilding is going around Mexico City FL. Stayed there in our RV a few years ago for a night.. should of been longer. Looking forward to staying there for a summer in 10-12yrs. Congrats on the retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back