Why retire Typhoon type 1 jets ?

Looks like the RAF generals wants to retire the certain Typhoons, but why now if upgrades are available.?

The RAF does not have “Generals”. They have
Air Marshals, Vice Air Marshal , etc. Not sure about
“RAF Regiment” (The Rock Apes) which is a ground force military service.

The RAF does not have “Generals”. They have
Air Marshals, Vice Air Marshal , etc. Not sure about
“RAF Regiment” (The Rock Apes) which is a ground force military service.

I remember Group Captain Lionel Mandrake from Dr Strangelove. Didn’t quite get it, but I think USAF commissioned officer ranks directly came from the US Army while the RAF had a different history merging what were previously army and naval air forces.

I remember Group Captain Lionel Mandrake from Dr Strangelove. Didn’t quite get it, but I think USAF commissioned officer ranks directly came from the US Army while the RAF had a different history merging what were previously army and naval air forces.
Pretty close, and most commonwealth countries did the same thing. Commissioned ranks were based off the navy and the NCO ranks were based on the army.

Officer rank insignia on their rank slides are the same as the navy, but in blue and without the 'executive' (the curl/loop on the top stripe), NCO ranks look the same except for a couple that are unique to the air force such as the leading aircraftman rank.

And why would Russia do that? They would lack resources to keep occupied land in check, gain no extra resources but extra headaches.

That was the western European logic before the war. That war is impossible because it is too costly.

Russians do not care about material or human costs. The main strength of Russian society is ability to tolerate suffering and harsh conditions.

Russia has a God-given mandate to occupy the Eurasian continent from Lisbon to Vladivostok.

Moldova has Russian separatists waiting to rejoin the motherland. Estonia and Latvia has Russian speakers waiting to be liberated. Poland must be punished for the Polish-Soviet war.

Last edited:
That was the western European logic before the war. That war is impossible because it is too costly.

Russians do not care about material or human costs. The main strength of Russian society is ability to tolerate suffering and harsh conditions.

Russia has a God-given mandate to occupy the Eurasian continent from Lisbon to Vladivostok.

Moldova has Russian separatists waiting to rejoin the motherland. Estonia and Latvia has Russian speakers waiting to be liberated. Poland must be punished for the Polish-Soviet war.
I think you are misguided and projecting.

American power projection in Europe is MUCH cheaper than alternative.
The old saying (coined by Zbigniew Brzezinski) about NATO role is to keep US in, Germany down and Russia out.

It is not only about Russia anymore. I don't know how some Americans plan on challenging China without having a united and strong Europe on their side.

When ASML sells lithography equipment to China, or companies like Kuka Robotics sell out to China, or Italy joins the Belt and Road Initiative I think you are just peeing in the wind.

Yes, they do not spend enough and are largely unprepared for war, but it is better to have allies than to not have allies. China has allies as well.

Last edited:

I think your post is a fairly accurate assesment.

It is not only about Russia anymore. I don't know how some Americans plan on challenging China without having a united and strong Europe on their side.

When ASML sells lithography equipment to China, or companies like Kuka Robotics sell out to China, or Italy joins the Belt and Road Initiative I think you are just peeing in the wind.

Yes, they do not spend enough and are largely unprepared for war, but it is better to have allies than to not have allies. China has allies as well.
China has its own issues as we speak that as far more complex than most people think.
Belt and Road Initiative is slowing down. Chinese are really, REALLY bad in soft power.

United Europe is important for many reasons. However, without US involvement, there is no united Europe. The EU is basically an American child.

I think your post is a fairly accurate assesment.

I wish I was wrong though.

On Russian TV they are even talking about having Alaska back. Of course they do not have that capability, but it illustrates the imperialist mindset. Any territory previously held by Russia is desired.

Regarding the argument that Russia won't attack Europe, Russia already did. Ukraine is a EU-candidate country. Most EU countries support Ukraine's admission to the EU. The EU is already fighting a proxy war with Russia.

Regarding not having enough resources. Despite the heavy losses, Russia's army is slowly but steadily advancing, and the size of the army is larger than at the start of the invasion. There are estimates that Russia can produce 3x as many shells as the entire EU.

The amount of troops needed to occupy countries is actually smaller than people think. In 2021 Putin wrote an essay about "the national unity of Russian and Ukranian people" where he argues Ukraine is an artificial state that shouldn't exist. The war is a war of extermination, and in a war of extermination, civilians are targets as well. Russia will be de-populating cities like they did to Aleppo or Mauriopol before the occupation.

If the Russian advace continues, EU will have a difficult choice to make, whether or not to send troops to help stop the advance. I don't think Poland wants to share a border with Russia.

And why would Russia do that? They would lack resources to keep occupied land in check, gain no extra resources but extra headaches.
Piece by piece, over decades, they've got Chechnya and Belarus already, next Ukraine, then Moldova, then maybe Georgia, then Azerbaijan has some oil, why not? After that demonstrate they have a good nuclear deterrent again, and start probing around the small baltic states, see what's what with NATO around 2040? Finland didn't just decide to join NATO now on a whim either.
All those countries near Russia have had bad experiences in the past with the western powers not feeling they are worth defending, as individually they are not.

I wish I was wrong though.

On Russian TV they are even talking about having Alaska back. Of course they do not have that capability, but it illustrates the imperialist mindset. Any territory previously held by Russia is desired.

Regarding the argument that Russia won't attack Europe, Russia already did. Ukraine is a EU-candidate country. Most EU countries support Ukraine's admission to the EU. The EU is already fighting a proxy war with Russia.

Regarding not having enough resources. Despite the heavy losses, Russia's army is slowly but steadily advancing, and the size of the army is larger than at the start of the invasion. There are estimates that Russia can produce 3x as many shells as the entire EU.

The amount of troops needed to occupy countries is actually smaller than people think. In 2021 Putin wrote an essay about "the national unity of Russian and Ukranian people" where he argues Ukraine is an artificial state that shouldn't exist. The war is a war of extermination, and in a war of extermination, civilians are targets as well. Russia will be de-populating cities like they did to Aleppo or Mauriopol before the occupation.

If the Russian advace continues, EU will have a difficult choice to make, whether or not to send troops to help stop the advance. I don't think Poland wants to share a border with Russia.
Nationalistic news channels are nothing new as it garners a reliable number of viewers and by extension advertising revenue. For some it's more about ad revenue and viewership than serious discussion. Discussion is boring, people want to feel offended and scared.

Looks like the RAF generals wants to retire the certain Typhoons, but why now if upgrades are available.?

I wonder if the amount of maintenance per flight hour was more than expected?

Nationalistic news channels are nothing new as it garners a reliable number of viewers and by extension advertising revenue. For some it's more about ad revenue and viewership than serious discussion. Discussion is boring, people want to feel offended and scared.
Typical Russian tactic. Over the top projection on TV, where Putin comes out as "centrist." American politicians who operate on the basis of "when I grew up in Nebraska" think, well, Putin seems like the only option to talk.

Typical Russian tactic. Over the top projection on TV, where Putin comes out as "centrist." American politicians who operate on the basis of "when I grew up in Nebraska" think, well, Putin seems like the only option to talk.
There's always someone playing the useful idiot.

Back