wifi routers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have dsl and get 80 mbps on a good day.

I'm looking to buy a router rather than rent. I can buy a 1000 mbps router like I am renting for $100 or I can buy a 300 mbps router for $30. Do I get any benefit from the faster modem if I'm limited to 80 coming in?

if iti s really 300mbits/sec then no. but plenty of $30routers over rate their speed. they cheapout on the main controller and when traffic gets high the router cpu pegs out.

also firmware on $30 routers is not that good and could cause lockups requiring reboots,

get an good name brand router with good reviews, routerss should be invisible to you, cheap ones dont do a good jupob of this,

Last edited:
Yep.... I bought a cheap WiFi router once. Never again... they might be okay for 1 or 2 devices on the network at once, but after that the cheap ones just can't keep up.

I bought an Apple AirPort Extreme router 4 years ago. Like Danez_yoda said, they should be invisible, and that Extreme has been doing exactly that.

I was using a Linksys E1000 wired / wifi router for years but bought a TP Link Archer C20 last week for $35 at Office Depot and I love it. I get improved Wif TV and streaming music on my Amazon Fire 7. Even my internet is improved and I haven't even got fibber optic yet. I have Charter broadband 100 Mbps.

I'm moving to fiber optic 200 Mbps internet soon and this TP Link will work with it.
It's not a gigabit router and I probably don't need one. The E1000 doesn't work with fiber optic.

It appears you rent and router AND modem combo? So in order to stop renting you need to buy a compatible DSL modem and additionally a wifi router? I would get a DSL modem that suits your needs not the fastest one, that tech is going away. Add a well rated router but don't overbuy with an 80Mbps speed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Burt

I'm looking to buy a router rather than rent. I can buy a 1000 mbps router like I am renting for $100 or I can buy a 300 mbps router for $30. Do I get any benefit from the faster modem if I'm limited to 80 coming in?

Which specific models are you talking about?

You need to be looking at a DSL modem and router, not just router.

Yep I have one of those $40 Tmobile Hotspot Asus AC routers, that I flashed to DDWRT.

Its been rock solid, and we do about 40GB of traffic per day.

Originally Posted by Mr_Luke
I was using a Linksys E1000 wired / wifi router for years but bought a TP Link Archer C20 last week for $35 at Office Depot and I love it. I get improved Wif TV and streaming music on my Amazon Fire 7. Even my internet is improved and I haven't even got fibber optic yet. I have Charter broadband 100 Mbps.

I'm moving to fiber optic 200 Mbps internet soon and this TP Link will work with it.
It's not a gigabit router and I probably don't need one. The E1000 doesn't work with fiber optic.

That makes no sense

The E1000 would work the same with "fiber" as with non-fiber.. neither of your 2 routers are the modem part of the installation.

Also you should consider upgrading to a router that has gigabit.. 100mbit ethernet is limited to around 8MB/sec max.. and your new internet will most likely be in the 20+MB/sec range

Do you need to buy a new modem as well to avoid rent? or do they provide a modem free and just charge rent for the combo boxes (modem+router)

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Which specific models are you talking about?

You need to be looking at a DSL modem and router, not just router.

I saw a link recommending (among other things) Actiontec GT784WN.

The max Mbps rating is not reflective of actual performance. It's under test conditions in an anechoic chamber (ie faraday cage). There is a huge variation in performance among brands.

How big is your house and how many walls between the router and where you use it? 5GHz doesn't penetrate Walla very well so you may only connect at 2.4GHz (n mode).

TP Link is a quality router. AC1750 is a very good TP Link model router without breaking the bank. You want at least a dual band one. Best bet is to buy all the equipment including the modem. If you can.

If you have the funds look at Ubiquity Unifi hardware.

I meant to state: "Doesn't Charter give you a free router." I know I changed the text, but must have forgotten to hit the final post button. I get a free modem but they charge you some ridiculous price for a router.

For home use stuff, Netgear or ASUS is typically what I recommend. However, as QP and Rand touched-on, if you need a modem as well, you'll need to factor that into the purchase decision and whether you want an AIO setup with integrated xDSL modem or if you would rather do separate devices.

Originally Posted by Rand

That makes no sense

The E1000 would work the same with "fiber" as with non-fiber.. neither of your 2 routers are the modem part of the installation.

Also you should consider upgrading to a router that has gigabit.. 100mbit ethernet is limited to around 8MB/sec max.. and your new internet will most likely be in the 20+MB/sec range

Not true.

It makes good sense and I love my TP Link. I was told by several fiber optic and broadband professionals that the outdated Cisco E1000 will not work with fiber optic, and even if it did, my TP Link performs better and I'm not even on fiber optic yet. They praised the TP Link A750 Archer C20 dual band and I can see why.

There's no need for a gigabit router for non professional users (you will not be able to tell any difference).
You'd be wasting your money on a gigabit router but like PT Barnum said " a ____ every minute"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back