Internet Speed - Router vs Device?

I'm pretty sure it's set to that. I'm going to look now. Thank you
I was going by what you posted about your PC Card on the previous page showing 2.4 band.
Im no expert on this but I do know you should be on the 5GHz band for speed.
2.4 is best reserved for distance, such as ring doorbells, cameras ect.

I was going by what you posted about your PC Card on the previous page showing 2.4 band.
Im no expert on this but I do know you should be on the 5GHz band for speed.
2.4 is best reserved for distance, such as ring doorbells, cameras ect.
Thanks. You were right it was set to 2.4Hz but I made the change to 5hz and no difference.

One other thing that might help, if you on a community line, best disconnect the router/system for a short and reconnect afterwards.. its like the system gets bottle necked or backed up so it's good to let things cool down then reconnect plus you'll get a new ip.

Missed something.. you said 1G did you mean T1? as both of these are different types of connections
T1 is 1.54Mbit.

With that said, it sounds like it's my Wifi card in PC?
Yes

Run the test at a less busy time too (w/ your phone) and see if you can get even better. Somewhere along the pipe, we ALL share the connection / bandwidth no matter how the providers spin that. At work, during the day, while we pay for 400 Mb/s, on a good day we see 350 Mb/s when testing. I suspect that one a weekend or outside of business hours, it would be faster.

This was in settings. Looking at what WiFi card is in my pc.

View attachment 153780
That's your issue, you are connected using Wireless n at 2.4Ghz, which is going to naturally limit the throughput. Even with MIMO (Multiple In, Multiple Out) you won't get the kind of speeds you'd see on 5Ghz.

2.4Ghz has much better range, 5Ghz has much better throughput.

I would assume (you can check) that your ISP provided device is broadcasting both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, so if you want higher speeds, I'd recommend upgrading the card in your PC to one that also does 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

Do you have any more details on the computer?

That's your issue, you are connected using Wireless n at 2.4Ghz, which is going to naturally limit the throughput. Even with MIMO (Multiple In, Multiple Out) you won't get the kind of speeds you'd see on 5Ghz.

2.4Ghz has much better range, 5Ghz has much better throughput.

I would assume (you can check) that your ISP provided device is broadcasting both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, so if you want higher speeds, I'd recommend upgrading the card in your PC to one that also does 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

Do you have any more details on the computer?
Thank you.

The PC is pretty new (3 years old). I just reset the wireless to 5Ghz. It was set to 2.4Ghz as you and others have said. I just tried the speed test again and it was about the same. My phone gets better speeds.

1683038579423.jpg

I think I'm just going to hardwire pc to router instead.

I'm not sure what the perceived issue is here. You're getting a 1 gig connection down (and nearly the same up!) to your router which is VERY fast, and your computer's wireless N connection is getting 300-ish Mb which is pushing the theoretical limits of 802.11n.

What's the problem?

I'm not sure what the perceived issue is here. You're getting a 1 gig connection down (and nearly the same up!) to your router which is VERY fast, and your computer's wireless N connection is getting 300-ish Mb which is pushing the theoretical limits of 802.11n.

What's the problem?
Well my connection and speed is fine. I'm just trying to understand why the Router Upload/Download speed is so much higher than Device? Even when I use my Iphone via WiFi the speeds are higher for Device.

Everything downstream from your cable modem will have its own connection and and your devices will be limited to their maximum bandwidth. Most cable Internet plans can provide a data rate as high or higher than most routers' 1Gb WAN port. If your router has 1Gb LAN ports and you have 1Gb Ethernet ports on your wired devices over a 1Gb network, you should get most if not all of that bandwith. But introducing wireless connections like your current N connection and your phone will give you the varying results you're seeing.

802.11n has been around for 15 years at this point.

So I just tried a Fios speed test with my cell phone and got:

655 Download
676 Upload
Your phone is likely using a 5Ghz 802.11ac 80Mhz channel. This is about the max speed you'll get even holding your phone next to the AP. Does your AP support 802.11ax? If so, devices that are ax compatible will get better throughput. If you want to see 1Gb/s wifi, you'll need to be on 802.11ax and use 160Mhz channels.

With that said, it sounds like it's my Wifi card in PC?

802.11n is going to be an anchor compared to ac or ax. Get a 802.11ax WiFi card and you'll enjoy a much faster connection.

Back