Do traffic attorneys really work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
got a ticket for going 30 in a 25 zone. first ticket in 20 years. thinking of paying a traffic attorney to take care of it. many advertise 98% success rate. cost about $200 to $300. So whats your experience with them? Are they really as good as they tout?

Missouri is one of (I think) two states where you pay the attorney an extreme amount of money, pay the city an extreme amount of money and automatically, that moving charge is changed to illegal parking or some other non-moving violation. Your attorney does have to stand in court with a big box of cases which he has to deal out with the prosecutor. So for about five or ten times the normal money that you'd pay for a moving violation, your sins are (automatically) forgiven. Who came up with this money making idea I have no idea, but I think it was in place when I moved here in 1976.

I've heard that another state is sleazy enough to do this but don't know if I've ever heard which one. If someone could tell me that, my story would be complete.

Last edited:
Can you get a deferral? Here both mine (75 in a 55) and my wife's (60 or 65 in a 35) were both about $170 tickets, the deferral was about $250. Just can't get another speeding ticket for a year.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Can you get a deferral? Here both mine (75 in a 55) and my wife's (60 or 65 in a 35) were both about $170 tickets, the deferral was about $250. Just can't get another speeding ticket for a year.

Oh, so that's what the magic word is in Illinois. About fifteen years ago I was tagged by a state policeman running an unmarked Firebird when I crossed the Indiana-Illinois line on I-64. My wife, thinking all states were as blatant as Missouri asked him "How do we get this fixed?" which was taken as a bribe attempt. had I only known to ask about a waiver.

sure i can. the ticket is $128 and deferral is $150 and one clean year. But if in the unfortunate circumstance i get another ticket within one year, it all comes back with the first ticket due and both on record.

Doing some research it seems that an good attorney can many times knock the speeding ticket to a non moving violation , especially with my good driving record.

I once went to court and pleaded guilty to a traffic offence. There was a lawyer there defending someone on a speeding charge - years later he was our Prime Minister.

5 over? Were you going alot faster and cut a break? Did it assign points?

You can plead not guilty, if they clocked you with VASCAR, 5 over will not stick to you. Cop will probably offer you a break to speed things up. Unless he already knocked it down, in which case, just pay it.

Tickets are just to generate revenue. I've almost always just gone to the DA direct, or court, paid, and had it changed to nonmoving. All they want is money, make it easy on them to get it, and they will take the gaff just fine.

I contested my last ticket by submitting / requesting a trial by written declaration. Judge dismissed the charges.

The system is set up to encourage you to pay without contesting. The court clerk even lied to me as I submitted the paperwork in an attempt to make me change my mind about contesting. She claimed I would lose the option for traffic school.

Originally Posted by csandste

Oh, so that's what the magic word is in Illinois. About fifteen years ago I was tagged by a state policeman running an unmarked Firebird when I crossed the Indiana-Illinois line on I-64. My wife, thinking all states were as blatant as Missouri asked him "How do we get this fixed?" which was taken as a bribe attempt. had I only known to ask about a waiver.

I wouldn't recommend asking for the deferral, they'll mail it to you lol

Originally Posted by Ws6
Tickets are just to generate revenue. I've almost always just gone to the DA direct, or court, paid, and had it changed to nonmoving. All they want is money, make it easy on them to get it, and they will take the gaff just fine.

01.gif

Originally Posted by WhyMe
got a ticket for going 30 in a 25 zone. first ticket in 20 years. thinking of paying a traffic attorney to take care of it. many advertise 98% success rate. cost about $200 to $300. So whats your experience with them? Are they really as good as they tout?

most states have some leeway on it like 10mph looks like the officer was being a jack @$$

was a cone zone or school zone?

Originally Posted by tahoe_hybrid
Originally Posted by WhyMe

most states have some leeway on it like 10mph looks like the officer was being a jack @$$

was a cone zone or school zone?

I agree.....ir you really were only 5 mph over the limit...I'd contest it as that's within the margin of error IMO.....

PS: Using police officers as revenue collectors is one reason why they are currently held in such low regard...again, IMO....

There is usually a prosecutor(Asst. DA) in the courtroom and you can often ask to speak with that person. The prosecutor will usually reduce the charge and present this new agreed upon charge to the judge. In your case, you may be charged with e.g. a parking ticket but, still have to pay the fine and state surcharge. Could be a couple of hundred bucks.

Oh, and don't be late to court.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

Pure TRUTH!

The lawyers and judges all golf together, too.

I've got an attorney friend that can fix just about any speeding (or other stupid various motor vehicle citations) for me... he gets a really nice bottle of expensive scotch for Christmas every year.

It's all legal...…..
Texas is a little bit like Russia - money will buy you anything you want to do.

My dad is a retired attorney but I have never used him or any other attorney for traffic or criminal matters.

You can usually plea bargain things down to something less just by being nice and asking. Trying to have it dismissed is often an uphill battle.

I was pulled over in Downtown Columbus, OH eons ago for doing a 50 in a 35 and not using my turn signal which Ohio calls a marked lanes violation.

I plea bargained the speed to a muffler violation and the marked lanes violation was dismissed. I got no points and no insurance increase.
If I would have mailed the money in to pay the fine, I would have gotten 4 points and higher insurance premiums.

[Linked Image]

My wife and I have had very good luck with traffic legal firms. Shop around, there may be a large variation in cost.

You may have the option to take an online "traffic school" which will eliminate the points and keep your record clean/insurance low. That is generally cheaper, sometimes as low as $30 and guarantees no points.

Last edited:
Missouri is one of (I think) two states where you pay the attorney an extreme amount of money, pay the city an extreme amount of money and automatically, that moving charge is changed to illegal parking or some other non-moving violation. Your attorney does have to stand in court with a big box of cases which he has to deal out with the prosecutor. So for about five or ten times the normal money that you'd pay for a moving violation, your sins are (automatically) forgiven. Who came up with this money making idea I have no idea, but I think it was in place when I moved here in 1976.

I've heard that another state is sleazy enough to do this but don't know if I've ever heard which one. If someone could tell me that, my story would be complete.

Nevada is like this because of how a lot of the traffic there is tourists who have money but don't know local laws. Their system is cheaper though. Most moving violations change to parking violations with a small fee.

I wish I had this option where I live. Instead I did the attorney + deferral option so as long as I didn't get another speeding ticket for 6 months, then the charge is dropped but I still have to pay the city.

The legal system is a joke at times.

Originally Posted by Reddy45

Nevada is like this because of how a lot of the traffic there is tourists who have money but don't know local laws. Their system is cheaper though. Most moving violations change to parking violations with a small fee.

I wish I had this option where I live. Instead I did the attorney + deferral option so as long as I didn't get another speeding ticket for 6 months, then the charge is dropped but I still have to pay the city.

The legal system is a joke at times.

The legal system isn't a joke, it's just a revenue generator. If you understand and accept this, it makes perfect sense and you can use it to your advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back