Do you "flash" to warn of police patrol ahead? Speeding content and rant.

I always pause a second and look both ways/check the intersection before going when I'm first and it turns green - mom taught me that when I was learning to drive. If the person behind beeps, so be it. Saves a lot of t-bones from late red light runners.

Smart way to avoid the ol' "light-leaper meets amber-idiot" scenario!

My Dad taught me three things that that I always use to this day: Always speed up when entering traffic; don't swing left when making a right turn; and the most important one - always turn your head when changing lanes. That last one saved me countless times!

I once witnessed a clever and unique maneuver by a State Trooper in NJ. The entire three lane highway was rolling along at over 70 mph in a 55 zone when the Trooper pulled in front of me in the center lane. He then swerved across the highway into the left lane, then swerved to the right into the right lane, then back to the left lane and back to the right lane, effectively dividing the traffic. Those in front of the Trooper continued at 70+ mph while those behind the Trooper hit the brakes, in shock as to what the officer was doing. The Trooper then moved to the center lane and proceeded at the exact speed limit of 55 mph. Needless to say, not a soul passed him. In one swift maneuver he slowed the entire highway behind him down to the speed limit without having to pull anyone over.

My Dad taught me three things that that I always use to this day: Always speed up when entering traffic; don't swing left when making a right turn; and the most important one - always turn your head when changing lanes. That last one saved me countless times!

I once witnessed a clever and unique maneuver by a State Trooper in NJ. The entire three lane highway was rolling along at over 70 mph in a 55 zone when the Trooper pulled in front of me in the center lane. He then swerved across the highway into the left lane, then swerved to the right into the right lane, then back to the left lane and back to the right lane, effectively dividing the traffic. Those in front of the Trooper continued at 70+ mph while those behind the Trooper hit the brakes, in shock as to what the officer was doing. The Trooper then moved to the center lane and proceeded at the exact speed limit of 55 mph. Needless to say, not a soul passed him. In one swift maneuver he slowed the entire highway behind him down to the speed limit without having to pull anyone over.

Sounds like a great way to cause multiple accidents.

I don't flash. Cops here usually don't pull people over until they're doing 15+ over on local roads anyways so if they get a ticket for speeding, they probably deserve it. Plus with the way people road rage now, I don't need any drama in my life with using my high beams as such.
Not any more, since l got pulled over one time for doing it.

Lots of folks ask me if I get p!ssed that others flash their lights to "blow up my spot" so to speak. I tell them, I am here to try and get people to comply with traffic laws. If they flash and folks slow down, they've done my job for me, so why would I get mad at that. I very rarely sit in one spot and run radar/lidar anyway, as I prefer to drive around in my felon taxi with "POLICE" in big letters all over it. First it gets the voluntary compliance exampled above, and second, things don't happen in just one spot and I have a better chance of preventing problems if I move around. Plus, I just like to look at the scenery.

Last edited:

Idiot jerk could cause a major wreck doing something so dumb.

Idiot jerk could cause a major wreck doing something so dumb.

And if this stupid idiot lost traction swerving back and forth like a complete fool and hit the guard rail, causing his police vehicle to overturn he would have caused a traffic jam and completely stop traffic on the highway.

Also cause a delay for the firefighters and EMS to pull him out of his crumpled police vehicle.

Last edited:
In jest, I took a driving opportunity to make a video about proper passing and lane usage on a two-lane road this morning. Perhaps some of us don't actually know. I YouTube for entertainment as well.

This is a rather excellent thread, and I think it would be wonderful if the driving populace did practice proper lane usage.

Not much else to add except that.. "Summer driving season" is effectively here, Jersey Shore with its one-lane roads and RIDICULOUS (Rt 88 going to Point Pleasant. I'm looking at you) - seriously. One lane road (each way) ? ???? - and let's all stay safe out there.

Doing all I can do be on these roads for Friday the 19th and a nice weekend of myself and my machine, will keep in mind every decision leading up to that because.. while it is true my car gave out the last time.. Life is ultimately a series of decisions, to do the best that YOU want to do and are so motivated, and my reward will be this excellent community at an event set up.

I will never get there if I don't act in a safe, or at least "drive for everyone else on the road" manner.

Oh and @Tom NJ I saw that on the Turnpike last year. Maybe NJ is impervious to proper safety. They call that a "Traffic break" maneuver. Difference is, the one I saw was at 75MPH down to about 40 or 50.. LOL at a fellow board member calling State Trooper an Idiot Jerk. LOL.

It's always NJ.

Then there is just straight up entitlement. Thankful that @bubbanik is one of the Troopers we are HAPPY to have. Not like this... (On duty NJ State Trooper charged with DUI.) Some of us have tales of most getting hit by speeding cops/troopers at night with lights off and sometimes other "interesting" interaction details..........

Last edited:

For the life of me, why would you speed up when entering traffic?

And if this stupid idiot lost traction swerving back and forth like a complete fool and hit the guard rail, causing his police vehicle to overturn he would have caused a traffic jam and completely stop traffic on the highway.

Also cause a delay for the firefighters and EMS to pull him out of his crumpled police vehicle.

This is a much safer way to slow traffic behind police car…… verses driving like an idiot swerving back and forth at highway speeds.

Stay in the center lane and simply turn on the Red & Blue flashing wig-wag lights.
Nobody will pass police officer if he is driving 55 miles per hour.

You need to be moving faster than traffic so that whoever’s in the right lane does not have to change lanes nor slow down because of your added presence.

Even if foreign to car drivers, controlling the area around you via speed and lane placement is one of the first tenets of any motorcycle safety class. 🤷‍♂️

So other drivers don't have to accommodate your merge. You pick a gap way back when coming down the exit and accelerate to merge so other drivers don't have to slam on brakes as you merge.
Does not work for those who are looking at their phones until the acceleration lane ends and they look to see who is having to move or slam on brakes as you enter 70mph traffic while running 35mph.

That is certainly understandable. I guess the proper wording would have been “move at the speed of traffic when merging into traffic flow.”

That is certainly understandable. I guess the proper wording would have been “move at the speed of traffic when merging into traffic flow.”
NO. In an "average power" 4 cyl car I enter at about 15mph OVER the typical interstate speed, It is easier to brake to the traffic accommodating speed than accelerate.

And. Another form of flashing lights.. I've stopped doing this for those with headlights on and tail lights off at night, seems NOBODY (except for MAYBE one or two people over the year or so I've seen this) knew what flashing the lights meant (to signal to them their lights were off. They probably thought they were on. Dash lights probably not but..)

Similar to this. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...er-lights-off-on-the-highway-at-night.351407/

Here is a video about it, came through my feed yesterday.

The video seems to indicate local police will (now) ticket for that...

And. Another form of flashing lights.. I've stopped doing this for those with headlights on and tail lights off at night, seems NOBODY (except for MAYBE one or two people over the year or so I've seen this) knew what flashing the lights meant (to signal to them their lights were off. They probably thought they were on. Dash lights probably not but..)

Similar to this. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...er-lights-off-on-the-highway-at-night.351407/

Here is a video about it, came through my feed yesterday.

The video seems to indicate local police will (now) ticket for that...

I don't buy the video.
If you are a careless zipper head this can happen. First thing I attend to in my vehicles is the seat belt and then any required controls for a safe trip..
I know a person that frequently runs out of gas because she never checks the gauge.

The same person hardly ever scans controls or mirrors.

I don't buy the video.
If you are a careless zipper head this can happen. First thing I attend to in my vehicles is the seat belt and then any required controls for a safe trip..
I know a person that frequently runs out of gas because she never checks the gauge.

The same person hardly ever scans controls or mirrors.

I'll agree with you on that.. I watched about 30-40 seconds to where I saw what i sometimes see (not all the time anymore but sometimes. Headlights on.. taillights off. Simply DRLs with the lightswitch not engaged. Dash shouldn't light, however....)
^ and I agree, you at some point REALIZE your dash is harder to see....

Unless you are underestimating the airheadedness of the general driving populace. So, you're not confident that the motorists are regularly checking their tire pressure, oil level (when cold lol) and other walk-arounds on a semi regular basis to make lights work etc? Or are we a dying breed

Back