Radar Detectors

Does anyone here have experience with them? On a recent day trip I could have easily gotten a speeding ticket from a local city cop in the small town we visited. He was hidden and monitoring traffic from a small business as we were leaving town. I was going about 8 mph over in a 35 mph zone. Luckily he stayed put but I got to thinking how much a speeding ticket costs considering how it affects one’s insurance. I had an old Whistler Q2000 back in the day and it saved me many times over the years. I’m shocked at the amount of technology in these tiny devices nowadays. Having said that it won’t detect the newer Lidar signals until you’ve been had. Same with laser signals unless someone around you gets targeted first and your detector picks it up. We travel into Virginia often where detectors have been illegal for decades but it has a cloaking feature that ‘supposedly’ makes it invisible to LEO’s. It has a gps feature that automatically minimizes and remembers false signals from automatic door openers, proximity detectors in vehicle’s etc. So…I bought a Uniden R4 detector from Sam’s Club for $289 but have yet to mount/use it.
I’ll more than likely just Velcro it to the dash and use the factory default settings until I get a better understanding of all of its features, then mount it via a wire tap mount to my powered rear view mirror. Does anybody here have any experience with RD’s especially the newer models? I’m aware they’re not perfect but if it saves me once it’s more than likely worth the cost of admission.

IMG_1432.jpeg

I got pulled over once on I-95 in Va. I wasn't speeding but the trooper informed me that radar detectors were illegal there. Mine was on the dash but not plugged in. Haven't used one since. Besides, age has a natual way of slowing down driving speed.

I rented a Mustang GT PP1 in 2018 for a ten day road trip to MT and back. I was constantly finding my speed creeping into ticket speeds without knowing unless I had CC on. It caught up to me about two minutes after slowing down, AGAIN, outside Browning MT on a Sunday morning. I came around a corner on a rise and a cruiser was sitting on the top waiting for speeders. Surprisingly, the ticket was only $20! He knocked it down to nine over instead of 11.

Since I got a GT and like to do road trips, I bought a Uniden R7 and it has warned me multiple times of upcoming police radar, from WAY out. I don't use it for in-town driving. Not that I'm using it to be Mario Andretti, but to make sure I don't stray into ticket speeds like what happened above. It's very easy to do in this car unknowingly with its smooth, quiet, cruising power. One of my friends was so impressed with it's detection capabilities, he got one. At the time, I went to the YT channel VortexRadar to get my info. Cool channel and also does dash cams.

Radar detectors, and all radio receivers, use superheterodyning to pick up signals. This itself creates a small RF field that radar detector detectors use. I wouldn't be 100% confident in technology to avoid them where illegal... although, naturally, speeding itself carries the risk of a ticket.

Incidentally Howard Stern, when he was on FM radio, used similar technology to determine that people were listening to him in car radios but not admitting to it in radio ratings books.

I have been using radar detectors for over 40 years and the current ones are fabulous. I think the sweet spot on price/performance is the Uniden R7

No, they will not guarantee that you will never get a ticket. But good warning is better than no warning.

The cheapest thing to do is obey the law. I would expect more from a poster named gman2304...
Just saying this before some other moron chimes in with the same. 😆

Bitog is the place to shine when nobody else loves you at home..

I just bought one several months ago but haven't used it yet. I do have Waze but not sure it's really worth much in the long run. I used radar detectors for years but in Maryland you have to drive slow period daily if you want to keep your license 😉

I think that laser detectors are about 75% of the detection out west anymore. No avoiding them with a detector contrary to sales hype.

Does anyone here have experience with them? On a recent day trip I could have easily gotten a speeding ticket from a local city cop in the small town we visited. He was hidden and monitoring traffic from a small business as we were leaving town. I was going about 8 mph over in a 35 mph zone. Luckily he stayed put but I got to thinking how much a speeding ticket costs considering how it affects one’s insurance. I had an old Whistler Q2000 back in the day and it saved me many times over the years. I’m shocked at the amount of technology in these tiny devices nowadays. Having said that it won’t detect the newer Lidar signals until you’ve been had. Same with laser signals unless someone around you gets targeted first and your detector picks it up. We travel into Virginia often where detectors have been illegal for decades but it has a cloaking feature that ‘supposedly’ makes it invisible to LEO’s. It has a gps feature that automatically minimizes and remembers false signals from automatic door openers, proximity detectors in vehicle’s etc. So…I bought a Uniden R4 detector from Sam’s Club for $289 but have yet to mount/use it.
I’ll more than likely just Velcro it to the dash and use the factory default settings until I get a better understanding of all of its features, then mount it via a wire tap mount to my powered rear view mirror. Does anybody here have any experience with RD’s especially the newer models? I’m aware they’re not perfect but if it saves me once it’s more than likely worth the cost of admission.

View attachment 205958
You also need lidar. Alot of jurisdictions have moved on from radar as lidar is more accurate.

I have two that have never failed me. I moved out of the area that had red light/turn on red cameras and park/school zone cameras (Illinois) but they still are great for keeping me alert to speed traps ect. The max shows current speed and the 9500 is older and only shows speed when radar is detected.Both have satellite connections.If you get any brand try to get a hardwired to the mirror setup
IMG_2503.jpeg
IMG_2502.jpeg

Back