Pour out the filter before second use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Ded Mazai

1) I would drain the oil from the filter because you contaminate the new oil if you don't.
2) And you need to change the oil more frequently.

1) Wrong.
Plain wrong... you are stating an opinion based on emotion, and no practical facts.
Maybe when dealing with alcohol or nitromethane contamination in blown drag engines, yes - - passenger car? NOPE.
Absolutely zero negative effect will occur.

2) And you are basing this on....? More emotions?

Just leave the filter alone until you are ready to change it.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Don't remove it - you risk messing up the gasket.

Waiting for the comments about why you shouldn't use a filter for multiple oil changes....

Note signature.
27.gif
28.gif

Leave the filter on. Other comments here are good: not enough residual oil to make a real difference, might mess up the filter gasket during reinstall, if you bother to remove it you should replace it, etc.
Even when the filter is changed, there's quite a bit of dirty oil left inside the engine. In fact I have read many articles that say it's good to have a small percentage of used oil mixed with the new oil, something to do with tribofilm protection of the internal parts.
I recently bought some Fram Ultras and will reuse these at least once, probably twice... leaving it on the engine with a drain & fill of the sump at 5-6k intervals (Corvette).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back