Oil filter for 7.3 liter powerstroke diesel?

Hello,

I got the help I needed here on oil type for my 02 7.3 psd for which I have settled on TSC Travellers oil for the buck and 5k OCI.

What say you about the oil filters? I am not inclined to spend alot there either. The stock motorcraft is getting expensive especially for such a short OCI but I don't want junk.

What are some good options?

Thanks.

cheapest i could find through a quick search between WM and AAP.

IMG_5686.jpeg

Showing a $2 off coupon for this Purolator Boss $12.70 that has Smart Fusion mesh support backing.

https://www.amazon.com/Purolator-PBL44872-Filter-Diesel-Applications/dp/B06XQLV9ZB/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3K5N4KCW5YD15&keywords=L44872&qid=1707644469&s=automotive&sprefix=l44872,automotive,291&sr=1-3&th=1

Purolator's PurolatorBOSS oil filters guarantee 99% dirt removal power. Equipped with 100% full synthetic media and SmartFUSION Technology to deliver extended gas mileage and engine performance, these oil filters are ideally designed for extreme driving conditions (like towing and off-roading) and most vehicle makes and models. Since 1923, Purolator has manufactured premium filters for the automotive aftermarket.

• 100% full synthetic media filters contaminants with maximum efficiency
  • Silicone anti-drainback valve ensures protection against dry starts
  • Compatible with all oil types
  • Fitted with double-helix metal center tube and BOSS Steel Casing
  • Includes ethylene-acrylic PuroSEAL Gasket for prolonged service life
  • Enhances engine life for up to 15,000 miles
  • Keeps the engine working at peak performance
  • Traps up to 99% of dirt and contaminants
  • Ideal for most automotive applications and extreme climates, terrain, towing, off-roading, etc.

Last edited:
Hello,

I got the help I needed here on oil type for my 02 7.3 psd for which I have settled on TSC Travellers oil for the buck and 5k OCI.

What say you about the oil filters? I am not inclined to spend alot there either. The stock motorcraft is getting expensive especially for such a short OCI but I don't want junk.

What are some good options?

Thanks.
Good Morning VA_Life,

I like the Fram Tough Guard rated at 15K miles, 99% eff. @20 microns. I went on Walmart's website and they offer the Fram Tough
Guard TG3786:
  • $15.82 if the store stocks it
  • $15.82 + $6.99 shipping if ordered online . . . $22.81/filter
  • If you order 2, $31.64 + $6.99 = $38.63 . . . $19.31/filter
  • If you order 3 you go past $35.00 and get free shipping. $47.46 / 3 = $15.82/filter, the in store price!
If your OCI is 5K you can get a couple oil changes out of one filter cutting your cost in half.

1707654806063.jpg

If you have options, Donaldson Blue, Fleetguard (Stratapore media option), & Baldwin MPG are probably the top pick IMO. I would avoid economy filters for such an expensive equipment.

Back