Chinese filters

Whats the general consensus regarding Chinese made oil filters these days? Ones made by Premium Guard/Prime Guard can they be trusted as far as build quality and do they meet OEM specs? Changing the oil in my 3.7 F150 with some ST 15W40 tomorrow (will do a UOA) and I want to run it longer than the usual 5k oci I do. I have an STP S10590 on the shelf (Chinese made, nitrile adbv and says good for up to 5k on the box) and a Supertech MP 10575, 20k mile rated filter. Id like to run this oil 6-7k, both filters seem built really well, I currently have a Vietnam made Microgard Select on right now with zero issues. Which would you use and can I trust Vietnam/Chinese made filters from here on out? 230k miles on truck.

I am not as concerned about Chinese made products as I once was. I will use Chinese made filters .American made products have taken a drop in quality over the last few years. With current worker attitudes, that doesn't surprise me.

If I had doubts, I would be looking less at the country of manufacture and more at cutting one open or looking if someone else here has done so already

Every country can have great factories and bad ones. It all depends on the management.

Photo taken by @Verminator
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/wix-oil-filters-made-in-usa-made-in-china.364752/

20230128_153038.jpeg

The Premium Guard/ Prime Guard filters that I've seen dissected on this site seem to have excellent 'build quality' as far as even pleat spacing goes. Whether they filter as well as the domestic brands is a chance you would be taking. I would imagine they would work as well as any jobber filter.

While China COO wouldn't be my first choice, if you stick with one of the OEM's or major brands, you will be fine. Even Mahle is making filters there now and the ones I have used appear to be identical to their European COO ones. Oddly, the only filter that I ever bought that was defective (badly misaligned ADBV) right out of the box was a US made Mobil1 (Champ) many years ago.

Disappointing, I agree but even this:
elisefilternew.JPG

I’ve used Premium Giard and Prime Guard without issues.

If I had a ProTec “by Wix” or prime guard: hands down I would run the Prime Giard. ProTec is now garbage as we all see MADE IN USA isn’t that anymore

I am not a fan of Chinese manufacturing, for both political reasons and quality control.

Having said that - an oil filter is right in there wheelhouse - its fairly low skill / low value add assembling a oil filter and should have a fair bit of automation even in China. Most of the big manufacturers have facilities there to produce for the Asian Market. Assuming its from a name brand manufacturer I wouldn't worry to use one. However I prefer one from almost anywhere else - Vietnam or Mexico both seem to have better QC controls actually, IMHO.

the higher quality Chinese made products are higher quality. Again name brands are usually the best products, usually.

China can actually make a few things better than we can, despite much of what we buy from them being in lower quality than goods made in North America. I'll come back to explain if someone disagrees.

Back