Noisy Injector on Wife's Subaru

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys.

I was recently adding some oil to the Wife's Impreza and airing up the tires. I had the engine idling for a few minutes to run the electric tire pump with the hood open. When I finished with the tires, I went to shut the hood and noticed a pronounced clack -clack near one of the Fuel Injectors. Just one was really loud the other Normal sounding I suppose. Now riding around with the wife in previous weeks I also had noticed the engine was louder than normal and lumpy, thumpy when accelerating like one cylinder was weak.

Is this something the dealer might address under warranty or am I making a laughable suggestion?

There is no MIL/CEL lit or AFAIK there never was one lit in the past. Also, anything I might add to the gasoline to help of is it just likely shot? I dont have much injector maintenence history other than the old BOSCH KE Jetronic continuous systems.

If the engine wasn't running lumpy I wouldn't give it much thought, really.

Thanks, Ken

Take it to the dealer and tell them it has running issues and you notice a loud injector, I have no doubt Subaru will cover it as its cheaper for them in the long run.

more info = better replies, what year, engine + some history are helpful!

It's the car in my signature.
FB20 port injected, CVT, 52K miles, New England Winters, Runs Irving regular 87 gasoline, OCI 7-9K miles. No Repairs.
Wife driven, mix of HW and backroads about 70 miles a day. Car never had much highway merging power but was smooth and quiet - at least for the first year
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Trav
Take it to the dealer and tell them it has running issues and you notice a loud injector, I have no doubt Subaru will cover it as its cheaper for them in the long run.

Trav-

Do very noisy injectors in your experience = Bad or likely going Bad? Again its only 1 that is real loud.

BTW do we have a way to post a short digital sound recording without using a hosting service or You-Tube?

NO its port. I haven't run any PEA in this vehicle. Maybe I'll give it a drink of Regain Complete. She's nearing the end of the 5/60 powertrain warranty. I wish the plugs were easier to pull I'd give them a read.

Checking the fuel trims will give you some clues to work with. Use the cleaner but if it doesn't clear take it while it is still covered, that the point of having a warranty.

I plan to.
the car needs brakes all around an I'm not in the mood to do them.
I Just have to get the wife motivated

Are Injectors covered under emissions warranty or powertrain?

I just though of something I dont know if this engine has the notorious tumble flapper valves in the intake base. Ill have to look for flapper servos or vacuum actuators. It could be that too.

Stupid tech buildup on cars - its getting too much.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I plan to.
the car needs brakes all around an I'm not in the mood to do them.
I Just have to get the wife motivated

Are Injectors covered under emissions warranty or powertrain?

That is a good question, I don't know. I would guess emissions as a defective one could cause a cat damaging misfire, check with Subaru and let us know.

Some cars just have noisy injectors. Older Toyotas were known for this - you can hear the click of injectors on the 22RE and to a degree on the 1UZ-FE.

Take it into Subaru just to have it documented. NH does use California emissions standards so I think, so anything PZEV-certified has a longer emissions system warranty.

That would be interesting for sure. The electrics are the first thing I check when determining if they can be or worth servicing but I don't see the dealers doing much testing of injectors just replace.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
It would be interesting to see the Amperage draw (Ramp) & DC Induction waveform of the loud injector compared to the others.......

I don't have a O-Scope. I Should have grabbed a surplus Tektronix when I left Bell Labs. To think i spent a few grand of my budget and bought a few of the good technicians Fluke digital scope meters to keep them in "my camp".
I aint got no swagg out !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back