Odd steering issue with 2016 Malibu

2016 Chevy Malibu 110,000 miles with cross climate 2 tires.

So my wife came home Friday and told me that 3 times while coming home when she changed lanes on the highway her car felt like she was driving on ice. I took it out yesterday and was able to get it to reproduce the event. It feels like when you change lanes or merge the car will not want to do what you want OR when you change lanes the car will insist on changing lanes faster than you want and you need to fight it to slow down the lane change. It's just for a second then everything is normal again. It can happen 2 or 3 times in quick succession then nothing for 20 miles.

I was thinking that a belt in one of the tires might be broken/going bad but it may be something else. If it is a bad tire, how would I figure out which one?

Could it be something else?

Could it be a bad ball joint or tie rod end?

I would think if it's E-power steering related, the system would disable power assist and throw a warning light.

I too have a 2016 Malibu. Older body style 8th Gen though.

Scan the electric power steering control module for codes. Jack up each side of the front tend to see if there's play in the steering components.

Interesting I don't think I have ever heard of an electric power steering going bad in a car before

There is a tsb for a “stick/slip” type condition in the steering. It doesn’t list a cause or fix it just tells the technician to contact engineering.
The rack is probably on its way out.

Back