Subaru Wheel Bearing?

07 OBXT manual 5-sp. stock engine, but modded suspension. i really want a more “adult” car, but don’t know what would keep the grin, while maybe being a more relaxed long-distance cruiser…oh, and affordable.
Yeah, have never owned a turbo EJ (mainly because I missed buying them new, and used ones are concerning for abuse) but the OB/Legacy was the only limited slip outside of WRXs. It’s weird, in that the LS part is “sealed for life” and that fluid cannot be replaced; the fluid you can change only lubricates the ring gear. I’ve historically only ever used Motul Gear 300 in every single Subie I’ve ever serviced or owned, but that was before I found HPL. Now it’s 75W90 CC, and will likely be lifetime fill on anything I put it in these days.

What suspension mods? I put a set of the 2” King lift springs from Primitive Racing on my 07 Impreza, but in my 05 OB I had done all of the control arm & sway arm bushings with Whiteline, along with Whiteline sway bars and end links, but I sold it last year to my buddy as a work car. I’m about 🤏 this close to putting a 2” strut lift on the Impreza, but that will likely take subframe & rear control arm spacers as well to do it right. It also honestly needs every suspension bushing replaced (now 17 years and 188k miles) but that will likely be a project with my son in a year or so.

Any pics of your OBXT? I’ve always loved the sleeper aspect of the 05-09 Legacy/OB, especially the Legacy GT wagon.

I just did 2 fronts on a Subaru $225 all in from Rock for SKF, I got them in 1 day and put them on Saturday, it took about 45 min a side. I did the rears with new backing plates and e brake hardware for about $425 all in inc new bolts when I had to do rear cv axle seals and the whole bloody thing was rotten, those took a bit longer but not difficult.

I just did 2 fronts on a Subaru $225 all in from Rock for SKF, I got them in 1 day and put them on Saturday, it took about 45 min a side. I did the rears with new backing plates and e brake hardware for about $425 all in inc new bolts when I had to do rear cv axle seals and the whole bloody thing was rotten, those took a bit longer but not difficult.
Can I just swing by your place and get all 4 bearings & backing plates done prophylactically? 🤣

Yeah, have never owned a turbo EJ (mainly because I missed buying them new, and used ones are concerning for abuse) but the OB/Legacy was the only limited slip outside of WRXs. It’s weird, in that the LS part is “sealed for life” and that fluid cannot be replaced; the fluid you can change only lubricates the ring gear. I’ve historically only ever used Motul Gear 300 in every single Subie I’ve ever serviced or owned, but that was before I found HPL. Now it’s 75W90 CC, and will likely be lifetime fill on anything I put it in these days.

What suspension mods? I put a set of the 2” King lift springs from Primitive Racing on my 07 Impreza, but in my 05 OB I had done all of the control arm & sway arm bushings with Whiteline, along with Whiteline sway bars and end links, but I sold it last year to my buddy as a work car. I’m about 🤏 this close to putting a 2” strut lift on the Impreza, but that will likely take subframe & rear control arm spacers as well to do it right. It also honestly needs every suspension bushing replaced (now 17 years and 188k miles) but that will likely be a project with my son in a year or so.

Any pics of your OBXT? I’ve always loved the sleeper aspect of the 05-09 Legacy/OB, especially the Legacy GT wagon.

381192465_IMG_0554(1280x960).jpg.654226b936695234e4dda3c2bbacb3a5.jpg

DSCF3070.JPG.3669718fe89b989d3709f53191ac5752.JPG

Modest lowering. Bilsteins all around: Bilstein bts5025 springs which I found by accident, but at the time the full BTS kits were ~$2500 plus mounting pieces, so I “cheaped out”…a little. JDM rears were revalved by Bilstein, and the fronts are the B6 aftermarket for SpecB Legacy. Cobb rear sway. Could be my imagination, but I think it has either settled some, or this pic was taken before I got the BTS springs.

Last edited:
07 Subarus, those where the years of the leaking oil head gaskets.... I would buy a new one, would avoid that generation for sure!

Back