Starter lifespan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starters are likely tested & developed to last 'x' amount of starts. Though there isn't one blanket number, about how many starts can a typical starter take in its life before failure?

Good question. My 88 E-150 is still with the original starter and alternator. The only thing I replaced was the water pump. I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Good question. My 88 E-150 is still with the original starter and alternator. The only thing I replaced was the water pump. I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

Hey demarpaint. . Has the vehicle battery always been in pretty good shape too??

Starter is a weak spot on my Rav4 and Corolla. Changed in both of those vehicles at about 200k miles. Forgive my lack of technical terminology, but the rod with the little gear on its end that extends to engage the fly wheel wouldn't retract properly and was hitting the fly wheel after the engine started. At least that's what it sounded like.

So, who knows how long starters will last. To apply some stats, I'd guess it's about 200k miles plus or minus 100k miles.

I've had to put a starter in every vehicle I've had.

Except the one that had 15-20 starts a day when it was my work vehicle. Go figure

I've never had to change a starter because the starter was bad. I've changed two across two different Chevy 350s due a misdiagnosis of what the actual problem was, though.

I generally put about 200k - 230k miles on my cars, and haven't replaced a starter in any of my cars since my 1964 Chevy II. That was a long time ago. I was under the impression that starters on newer cars are much more robust than they were in the 1960's and 1970's. It is news to me that starters have to be replaced with any real frequency.

Just remember , starters last forever. So do alternators. When they go tittys up just take either to a starter rebuild shop . It'll be as good as new next day +-. I haven't bought a new one of either since like 1988, yea really . Far better and cheaper than one of those factory reconditioned ones.

Originally Posted by mclasser
. Though there isn't one blanket number, about how many starts can a typical starter take in its life before failure?

IMO, there is no correct answer to this, or it would depend on the application. GM starters from the mid-70s would go through brushes like candy.
Modern day starters may last the entire life of the car.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Bet they won't last as long with the start/stop systems being installed on vehicles now.

Since some are upgraded for the start/stop.. might still outlast the vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rand
Bet they won't last as long with the start/stop systems being installed on vehicles now.

Since some are upgraded for the start/stop.. might still outlast the vehicle.

Ah, good point.

Many start/stop systems don't rely on the starter.

Originally Posted by Driz
Just remember , starters last forever. So do alternators. When they go tittys up just take either to a starter rebuild shop . It'll be as good as new next day +-. I haven't bought a new one of either since like 1988, yea really . Far better and cheaper than one of those factory reconditioned ones.

This^ If you are fortunate enough to have generator/starter rebuild shop in you town like am, that is the only way to go. Much better than parts store rebuild (respray) starters.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Forgive my lack of technical terminology, but the rod with the little gear on its end that extends to engage the fly wheel wouldn't retract properly and was hitting the fly wheel after the engine started. At least that's what it sounded like.

Bendix drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back