Denso reman'd starter

2013 Honda Pilot w/91k miles is not starting or cranking. Battery is less than a year old and tested good a few months back.

Suspecting a bad starter, I tapped the starter body several times with a tire iron and it fired right up. Feel like 91k miles is too soon for a new starter but it is what is.

Thinking about a Denso reman'd off RockAuto. Are they any good?

2013 Honda Pilot w/91k miles is not starting or cranking. Battery is less than a year old and tested good a few months back.

Suspecting a bad starter, I tapped the starter body several times with a tire iron and it fired right up. Feel like 91k miles is too soon for a new starter but it is what is.

DENSO remanufactured from Rockauto or Summit Racing is the way to go unless you can get it rebuilt locally.

Denso, Bosch, Remy, all good. No starter/alternator shop will come close to a factory reman part in price or quality.
That is a very interesting comment based on the loads of junk remans that are on the market vs good local shops that rebuild yours with high quality and all new parts. I agree Denso and Bosch remans are usually ok but the Remy brand has declined over the years. With that being said, I do use 80% brand new starters on customer cars with the remaining being a "premium reman" starter. Just can't, like you said, beat the warranty and cost.

I installed a RA Denso reman in LS back in April '23. Because of the starter location, I wanted something that I wouldn't have to access anytime soon.

If it’s a true Denso starter, you can rebuild it yourself for a lot less than buying a rebuild. The rebuild kit is pretty much a kit with new copper contacts, o rings and such.
Take a look here:

We have a 2014 CRV and the starter went at around 60k. The internet tells me that the contacts in this line of starters wear prematurely; is possible yours is the same. If you think you’ll have the pilot long enough it might be worth dismantling the old one and seeing if you can source new contacts for $2 and setting it aside for a future replacement. I’m not sure how long-lived these will be.

I've often thought of rebuilding the Denso starters an alternators that are parked in the driveway. Especially now that the vehicles that use them are getting older and rebuilds done by Denso are NLA.

But unless I could find genuine Denso components, I figured I would just have the equivalent of a Cardone or Duralast rebuilt unit.

Places that I've found that sell components for Denso units don't specifically state the parts are genuine Denso.

It would help if there was a readily available Denso parts list for starters and alternators. At least this way, if not genuine Denso one would have a cross-reference to good quality alternatives to Denso.

The only auto-electric rebuilder that I used to deal with was in Campbell, CA but they're no longer in business.

The parts the local rotating electrical shop uses as well as parts store reman are from WAI anyway. Chinesium. At least Denso or Bosch make many of their own parts if they supplied OE in the first place.

Update:

Installed a Denso starter reman'd here in 🇺🇸. Car fires up excellent now.

As soon as a I pulled out the old starter, the failure point was obvious:

IMG_20231021_132943017_HDR~2 - Copy.jpg

The copper cable was corroded / burnt up. I've never seen such a failure before. This cable should really be covered up instead of being exposed to the elements. It's also exposed on the new starter 🤷‍♂️

IMG_20231021_132935700_HDR~2 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20231021_132939876_HDR - Copy.jpg

When I went to connect the battery and wrap up the job, the positive connector decided to bend and snap. Corrosion had struck again. So, I ran to AAP and got a universal battery connector. I cut off the broken portion of the connector after the crimp and put the remaining crimped cable into the slot of the new connector. It fits nice and tight. I could've cut before the crimp and ran the 2 exposed strand bundles into the new connector but everything was covered with electrical tape and I didn't want to deal with that; not to mention, I didn't see any corrosion in the cable strands warranting cutting away.

IMG_20231022_132902799_HDR - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Back