Starter issues

My 2012 F150 3.7, right at 242k miles. A month ago I went to start it, once started, made a loud grinding noise like the starter was staying engaged. Shut it off, started it again and it has never happened again until last night. Leaving the store, I started it, starter stayed engaged and I stopped and started it a good 5-6 times with the same outcome. Left it there overnight, went grab a friends truck and trailer this morning. Before putting it on the trailer, I changed the starter relay and fuse, it started and I drove it on the trailer with no issues. Once on the trailer I started it and the started stayed engaged. Got it home, off the trailer with no starter issues and hasnt done it since. It is the original starter. Should I dig into this issue further or leave it be?

If you leave it be, you will soon be replacing your flywheel too. Replace the starter, its bendix or solenoid has issues.. The solenoid may be sticking and is likely is on the starter.

Replace it. Unless you want to take the starter apart and see if you can replace the solenoid or whatever else is hanging up - might be the return spring or whatever its called.

On my Maxima I let it go about 6 years, then outright failure. On my wife’s heard a sound and outright failure 2 mos later. Any irregularities indicate eventual, but not necessarily immediate, failure.

Does the key or computer control the starter? If it's the key, you could have something sticky or worn in the ignition switch.

This truck should have a modern gear reduction starter with a solenoid that pulls the gear in, not a bendix, but I haven't seen it up close.

Back