Wasting HID Bulb?

On my Bolt, as with most modern GMs, unlocking the car turns on the headlights, even during the daytime. Then, when you start the car, the headlights turn off. Then, if it’s dark, they turn back on.

With previous vehicles I haven’t worried about this as I have always done LED conversions but the Bolt uses expensive HID bulbs and I think this behavior will shorten the life.

Is there any way I can turn this feature off so it doesn’t illuminate the headlights when I unlock the car? If not, how much is it actually affecting the lifespan of the bulbs? Is turning them on and off unnecessarily fine?

Thanks…

I think about the same thing with my Acura. I go to some length to either have them on or off (like leaving them on if I have to run in to the store after getting gas, and leaving them on when I'm pumping gas as well). I don't like restriking the bulbs if I don't have to. I've always heard that hot restrikes on arc type lamps isn't good for them.

Yes, it’ll shorten the life of the bulb. However it is not a dramatic change, it’s hardly perceptible assuming you use genuine name brand bulbs (Philips or Osram).

Page 142 of the manual goes into how to change some of these settings. On page 145 it talks about lock and unlock behaviors you can change.
https://www.chevrolet.com/ownercent...als/2017/Chevrolet/BOLT EV/Owner's Manual.pdf

Thank you, I hadn't even considered reading the owners manual or digging through the settings. I will take a look when I go out to the car next time and see if I can disable that as per those instructions :)

Regardless, even if I can improve the lifespan a little, that's a win, because not only are the bulbs expensive (name brand stock replacement Sylvania costs me about $70) but on the Bolt it's an hour long process involving taking half the car apart to change the bulbs.

I was able to change the settings. My concern should be resolved. I will find out for sure tonight, hopefully it doesn’t use the light sensor to determine if it should illuminate upon unlock regardless of the setting being off.

My '22 Bolt illuminates an LED DRL strip that switchbacks the turn signal

I didn't know the pre facelift didn't have that

I have the DRLs (little U shaped thingies) but when unlocking it lit up the headlights itself, not that thing, unfortunately.

Compared to HIDs with a lower color temp, I would rather not have LEDs. I think it’s TRS that will sell HID capsules with a just-like-halogen 3100 color temp, and they are wonderful - just don’t last as long as osram. Osram I think is 4000k, which is still lower than all of the LEDs I’ve seen. I suspect the osram 4k, not to mention TRS (morimoto) 3100k capsules both have a higher CRI than all of the oem LEDs.

I have a $40 LED flashlight with a bulb temp of around 3k and a CRI of 91-92. It is fabulous, especially on night hikes - simply easier on the eyes, and has GOBS of output capacity. I know this can be done. If the oems could move in this direction, it would be awesome.

Compared to HIDs with a lower color temp, I would rather not have LEDs. I think it’s TRS that will sell HID capsules with a just-like-halogen 3100 color temp, and they are wonderful - just don’t last as long as osram. Osram I think is 4000k, which is still lower than all of the LEDs I’ve seen. I suspect the osram 4k, not to mention TRS (morimoto) 3100k capsules both have a higher CRI than all of the oem LEDs.

I have a $40 LED flashlight with a bulb temp of around 3k and a CRI of 91-92. It is fabulous, especially on night hikes - simply easier on the eyes, and has GOBS of output capacity. I know this can be done. If the oems could move in this direction, it would be awesome.
The Philips Xtreme Visions I had bought from them were wonderful, they’re rated at 4800k color I believe, but it was like having noon sunlight on the road in front of me at night. Not quite halogen yellow, but no blue tinge.

I've got a out 1,000 things to worry about before I worry about the life of my headlight bulbs.

Are they hard to change or something?

On my Bolt, as with most modern GMs, unlocking the car turns on the headlights, even during the daytime. Then, when you start the car, the headlights turn off. Then, if it’s dark, they turn back on.

With previous vehicles I haven’t worried about this as I have always done LED conversions but the Bolt uses expensive HID bulbs and I think this behavior will shorten the life.

Is there any way I can turn this feature off so it doesn’t illuminate the headlights when I unlock the car? If not, how much is it actually affecting the lifespan of the bulbs? Is turning them on and off unnecessarily fine?

Thanks…
It depends on how often you're turning the vehicle off and on. HID bulbs are fairly resistant to off and on just not repeatedly or this causes something called a hot restart and definitely shortens the life.

Back