grinding sound from the starter

took my car into the shop for a dying/ weak/slow cranking starter. I now have a new starter with a brief grinding noise at start up. coming from the starter.. they are looking into it. they even told me--- MAN it did not sound like that when we pulled it of the rack and test started it. so they needed another day. i mean it started fine for years, even when i dropped it off and when they drove it around. whys it now grinding a bit. its odd.

UPDATE--I was told the flywheel is showing wear. WHAT? i believe that its an older car 2006 300. BUTTTT why would a brand new starter exspose the wear on a fly wheel (If im being told the truth). I did not bring the car in for a grinding sound from the starter its never had one
I brought it in for a weak starter. but im leaving with a minor grinding sound from the new starter and a 600 estimate to replace the starter. what am i not understanding. i should have done it myself.

Reactions: wlk
The starter for whatever reason can damage the flywheel. The longer you go with this condition, the greater chance of trashing the flywheel.

I guess one could try to argue that the starter and ‐‐ wouldn't it be a flexplate here? ‐‐ wear together, like putting a new chain on an old bicycle cassette. But that feels like a stretch, no pun intended.

Starters are one of those parts that are extra susceptible to being junk these days. I bet the new starter is hanging up. But you'll be hard-pressed to convince the shop of that.

How difficult is it to DIY? I don't think I've ever even brushed up against a 300, so I don't know.

And I wonder: did they have to pull the starter a second time to inspect the flexplate? Or is there an inspection hole? If the former, they really shoulda just dropped in a second aftermarket starter, unless the flexplate truly looked horrible.

I'm curious: how many techs have experienced a noisy starter due to a worn flywheel or flexplate? I've certainly heard of missing teeth which can cause an occasional no-start if you're unlucky ;)

See also:

Also ask the shop if they have video or stills of the flexplate damage. Tell them that GoTech on YT would! And tell them BITOG wants to know.

I will say this: I had a customer drive at varying speeds over half a mile on an '88 XJ with the starter stuck engaged. I expected flywheel (AX15) damage, but it was fine (shrug). But all that really proves is that 4.0 flywheels are apparently bombproof and doesn't necessarily mean anything on a passenger car.

So they installed a starter that does not pull away from the flywheel in time. Are they blaming the flywheel? Or are they saying that the starter they installed damaged the flywheel?

So yeah, what little internet savvy I have indicates the '06 300 never came with a m/t. Thus, flexplate.

I don't understand the problem here. You had the shop replace the starter and now you have a problem. The shop should have just replaced the starter for you - I am sure they will get reimbursed for their labor (I do at my shop with AutoZone etc) and leave you as a happy customer. I have seen this before and every time it was the starter that was to blame.

I don't understand the problem here. You had the shop replace the starter and now you have a problem. The shop should have just replaced the starter for you - I am sure they will get reimbursed for their labor (I do at my shop with AutoZone etc) and leave you as a happy customer. I have seen this before and every time it was the starter that was to blame.
I also don't understand the shop's apparent insistence on standing behind what I ASSume to be an aftermarket starter. Today. When most parts -- especially electrical-- are junk.

If anyone watches the vid I linked, note the replacement starter is "upgraded" with an external solenoid. It comes with paperwork specifically saying NO MODIFICATIONS REQUIRED. But the mounting surface is thinner and a thus an OEM bolt is too long.

And then he (wisely) begins to question what else about the starter might be overlooked. We've all been there!!

I understand the vid is a Honda but it underscores the problems with parts today, especially things like starters.

I also don't understand the shop's apparent insistence on standing behind what I ASSume to be an aftermarket starter. Today. When most parts -- especially electrical-- are junk.

If anyone watches the vid I linked, note the replacement starter is "upgraded" with an external solenoid. It comes with paperwork specifically saying NO MODIFICATIONS REQUIRED. But the mounting surface is thinner and a thus an OEM bolt is too long.

And then he (wisely) begins to question what else about the starter might be overlooked. We've all been there!!

I understand the vid is a Honda but it underscores the problems with parts today, especially things like starters.
I went back and watched it. It appears that we are bombarded in 2 directions with aftermarket parts: 1. poor quality and 2. They are trying to carry less part numbers and still cover the same amount of vehicles so in some cases you get "almost right" instead of "right".

Reactions: D60
Also, as a metalworker I thought his solution of stacking washers was janky. I woulda shortened the bolt by a few threads, or sourced a new bolt. Even if you had to go back to the OEM starter I think a slightly shorter bolt would hold just fine.

Stacked washers just look hack to me ;) ....but it saves time if you're flat rate.

Also, as a metalworker I thought his solution of stacking washers was janky. I woulda shortened the bolt by a few threads, or sourced a new bolt. Even if you had to go back to the OEM starter I think a slightly shorter bolt would hold just fine.

Stacked washers just look hack to me ;) ....but it saves time if you're flat rate.
I agree. Back in the day shims were the norm but today they should bolt up as is with no adjustment.

I had the same problem with a new Remy on my c1500 a couple of years ago. I returned the Remy for a rebuilt AC Delco and that has been in since spring of 2021 working well. Sorry you are out the money but it is probably a bad part, id replace it personally. Good luck

I have seen starter mounting bolts loosen, resulting in a binding starter pinion gear, causing noise and wear of the flywheel ring gear and the starter pinion.

Back