mobil 1 esp

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the difference between mobil 1 part no. 124044 and 103469? They are both 5w-30 and meet vw 507 specs. One is in qt bottles and one is in Lt bottles.

Last edited:
You need to be a little more specific, I doubt anyone outside of an Exxon employee knows which oils you are referring to when you talk in part numbers.

I can't answer if they are a different product, but it's quite likely that the difference is solely the volume and hence the geographic market. My Imperial Oil sell sheets don't show the former but they do show the latter. More specifically, they show 103469 as a box of 12 x 1L bottles.

Pretty sure it's intended primarily for Euro diesels like VW, Mercedes, etc. But it appears that gasoline engines can use it too. Not sure it's the best choice for a typical American car.

One important function of diesel oils is to hold soot in suspension. I would think this would be beneficial for gas DI engines. Also 504/507 oils have much better wear protection than 502 oils.

Originally Posted by dbias
One important function of diesel oils is to hold soot in suspension. I would think this would be beneficial for gas DI engines. Also 504/507 oils have much better wear protection than 502 oils.

In Europe gas engines moved to C3 oils long time ago.
VW504.00/507.00 covers both diesel and gas engines.

Thanks for the info. I use 507 as it is recommend for DI gas engines such as my 2015 jetta 1.8 tsi.It is suppose to help fight intake valve contamination. I have come across both oils online and the mfg. coverage is about the same . The only difference is the bottle size. I have both types but the online info is contradictory as to part number.

Originally Posted by bvisteve
Thanks for the info. I use 507 as it is recommend for DI gas engines such as my 2015 jetta 1.8 tsi.It is suppose to help fight intake valve contamination. I have come across both oils online and the mfg. coverage is about the same . The only difference is the bottle size. I have both types but the online info is contradictory as to part number.

Actually 1ltr bottle is older version which is MUCH more stout.
1qt size in newer version, and while it is still good, it is definiately more vanilla.

Originally Posted by edyvw

1qt size in newer version, and while it is still good, it is definiately more vanilla.

True. If it's the same in the US as Canada, we had 1L bottles of ESP Formula 5w30. When they came out with the newest version, simply called ESP 5w30, it is now in 1 quart bottles here.

What I liked about the original version was it's lower sulfated ash (0.6% vs 0.8%) it's higher HTHS (3.58 vs 3.5), higher viscosity at 100c (12.1 vs 11.8) and it's lower noack (5.6% vs 7.9%) But it still has the same certifications so I have no doubt it's still a very good oil and when my stash of ESP Formula 5w30 runs out in 5 years I'll switch to the newer version (which might be tweaked some more by then)

Originally Posted by Patman

True. If it's the same in the US as Canada, we had 1L bottles of ESP Formula 5w30. When they came out with the newest version, simply called ESP 5w30, it is now in 1 quart bottles here.

What I liked about the original version was it's lower sulfated ash (0.6% vs 0.8%) it's higher HTHS (3.58 vs 3.5), higher viscosity at 100c (12.1 vs 11.8) and it's lower noack (5.6% vs 7.9%) But it still has the same certifications so I have no doubt it's still a very good oil and when my stash of ESP Formula 5w30 runs out in 5 years I'll switch to the newer version (which might be tweaked some more by then)

Don't forget that ridiculous flash point of old version.

Yes! It was 254C, but I didn't mention that because Mobil 1 doesn't publish the flash point of the new formula (maybe because it's so much lower)

I wonder what actual changes they made to the formula in order for it to still achieve all the same certs, but yet with slightly lesser technical specs. I also wonder what the difference is between the base oils of each? The only thing I really like about the new version compared to the old is it's much lower viscosity at 40c, so that might just account for a tiny little bit less engine wear during the first few minutes of engine warmup. (and I can't seem to find that 40c viscosity info anymore, as Exxon Mobil has removed it from their website for some reason!)

Originally Posted by spiderbypass
If you open this link on google-it will translate into English. Oil analysis and discussion of Mobil 1 5w30 esp-new version.

https://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/34484-mobil1-esp-5w-30-svezhee-new-2018/

Great information, thank you very much!
cheers3.gif

Was that a D92 or D93 reading, though?
Somebody on here was kind enough to point out that D93 tends to give substantially lower flashpoint results that can't be compared directly to those from D92.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

Was that a D92 or D93 reading, though?
Somebody on here was kind enough to point out that D93 tends to give substantially lower flashpoint results that can't be compared directly to those from D92.

The 254c flashpoint is from ASTM D92

https://www.mobil.com/english-fi/passenger-vehicle-lube/pds/glxxmobil-1-esp-formula-5w30

They are clearing inventory at local CT and I got 5 quarts of the old ESP @ 9.91$ (canadian) per litre.

They still have 6 quarts left... I'm tempted...

Patman where are you getting those NOACK numbers? According to Stephens Service site, the 5-30esp has a noack of 24% after 3 hrs. The only time I've ever had to add oil before 5k miles were up in my ML cdi was the one time I used that oil. I went to Valvoline 5-40mst. No oil use so far nor with any other 5-40.

Originally Posted by loneryder

Patman where are you getting those NOACK numbers? According to Stephens Service site, the 5-30esp has a noack of 24% after 3 hrs. The only time I've ever had to add oil before 5k miles were up in my ML cdi was the one time I used that oil. I went to Valvoline 5-40mst. No oil use so far nor with any other 5-40.

NOACK measurement is not 3hrs (maybe they are doing different measurements), but 1hr at 150c.

Originally Posted by loneryder

The Noack value for the latest version of ESP 5w30 came directly from an email I got from an Exxon Mobil rep. The Noack value for the previous version was from an independent test from a Russian oil forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back