VW 1.4T with Non-Euro 0w-30 in it

A friend recently bought a used '21 VW Passat with 1.4T from a Nissan dealer. Shop mngr said they put in their type 0-30 Full Syn, not Euro. His manual calls for ACEA C3/B4 0-30; Should he have it changed to something like Mobil-1-ESP-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-0W-30, or use what is in it for awhile?

Does it use Cartridge filters?

Last edited:
If they put in a non Euro oil then it doesn't meet the ACEA C3/B4 specification. Those specs I just mentioned are needing High to Mid SAPS oils with a minimum HTHS of 3.5. To meet those specs more closely would be the HTHS High-Mid SAPS 0w-40 ESP Mobil. The Mid-Low 0w-30 & 5w-30 ESP does meet C3 but not the B4 part of HTHS I believe. The oil that's in there now should be just fine for this run but swap out to anyone of these mobil C3's. The 0w-40 ESP or 5w-30 ESP would be my choice going forward.

Last edited:
The only nissan 0w-30 is Nissan licensed motul nismo competition 2108e, it states it's "100% SYNTHETIC, ESTER CORE®-TECHNOLOGY". So It's not bad oil.

VW recommends long drain intervals, and that is reflected in their oil requirements. Go 5K miles and get back to the Euro spec oil if there is a concern. Nothing to be concerned about.

Have your buddy read the deck lid on the back of the car and see if they spelled Passat "JETTA". If not then the Nissan dealer stole the original 2.0 liter engine and shoehorned in a go-kart engine from something else.

I am not 100% certain but I think the engine in a Passat is a 2.0 liter and the Jetta came with a 1.4 L. In either case, unless he is typische sporty German driver, that car won't know the difference with the oil. Next drain interval uses the proper fluids.

1703711124985.jpg

The only nissan 0w-30 is Nissan licensed motul nismo competition 2108e, it states it's "100% SYNTHETIC, ESTER CORE®-TECHNOLOGY". So It's not bad oil.
There is 0% chance a Nissan dealer put that oil in a random VW. They put whatever crap they get by drum or tanks filled with.

A friend recently bought a used '21 VW Passat with 1.4T from a Nissan dealer. Shop mngr said they put in their type 0-30 Full Syn, not Euro. His manual calls for ACEA C3/B4 0-30; Should he have it changed to something like Mobil-1-ESP-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-0W-30, or use what is in it for awhile?

Does it use Cartridge filters?
I would change it if it were mine, tbh. It would be fine for a bit I am sure. It uses a cartridge.

Have your buddy read the deck lid on the back of the car and see if they spelled Passat "JETTA". If not then the Nissan dealer stole the original 2.0 liter engine and shoehorned in a go-kart engine from something else.

I am not 100% certain but I think the engine in a Passat is a 2.0 liter and the Jetta came with a 1.4 L. In either case, unless he is typische sporty German driver, that car won't know the difference with the oil. Next drain interval uses the proper fluids.

View attachment 195082
They did a 1.4TSi engine in the Passat, though I thought they had moved to the 1.5TSi in 2021 as my daughters Q2 is a 2020 and has the 1.5TSi

There was a Plug in Hybrid Passat and I am fairly certain that came with the 1.4 and later the 1.5

Both the 1.4 and 1.5 have 150bhp, not going to set the world on fire but more than enough for a Passat

If the car the OP is talking about belonged to me or a friend/family member it would be getting the correct spec oil put in straight away

The 1.4 is specced the same green 0w20 508/509 as the later 1.5 in Europe.

Though Shell say you can also use the following:-

• Alternative recommendations: Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 0W-30 / Helix Ultra Professional AV-L 0W-30; Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 0W-30 / Helix Ultra ECT MULTI 5W-30 / Helix HX8 ECT 5W-30; Helix Ultra 5W-40 / Helix HX7 5W-40 (SN Plus)
I have never seen a vehicle specced C3/B4, is that a mistype?

It likely won’t make a huge difference unless they have added the bulk 5w30 they keep in a barrel at that back.

I think the 1.4 and 1.5 engines get a bad rap, my daughters sounds like a little sewing machine, she gets 35mpg overall out of it in mostly urban running, closer to 50mpg at sensible speeds on longer runs.

And she is likely going to keep it for another 5/6 years.

The Q2 would actually suit the plug in hybrid running gear that came in the Golf GTE and Passat GTE.

The Passat is a nice car, though my preference would be a Skoda because they are so much cheaper to buy in the UK.

I am sure it will serve the owner well.

Is it DSG? Or manual?

Major error on my part: It is not a Passat, it is a Jetta 1.4. Sorry for the misinformation.

Thank all of you for the reply.

Major error on my part: It is not a Passat, it is a Jetta 1.4. Sorry for the misinformation.

Thank all of you for the reply.
It would call for a 508/509 then which is a 0w-20. If it were me I'd want a VW spec 504 in there if running an Xw-30, but for one interval whatever Nissan put in should be fine.

They did a 1.4TSi engine in the Passat, though I thought they had moved to the 1.5TSi in 2021 as my daughters Q2 is a 2020 and has the 1.5TSi

There was a Plug in Hybrid Passat and I am fairly certain that came with the 1.4 and later the 1.5

Both the 1.4 and 1.5 have 150bhp, not going to set the world on fire but more than enough for a Passat

If the car the OP is talking about belonged to me or a friend/family member it would be getting the correct spec oil put in straight away

The 1.4 is specced the same green 0w20 508/509 as the later 1.5 in Europe.

Though Shell say you can also use the following:-

• Alternative recommendations: Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 0W-30 / Helix Ultra Professional AV-L 0W-30; Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 0W-30 / Helix Ultra ECT MULTI 5W-30 / Helix HX8 ECT 5W-30; Helix Ultra 5W-40 / Helix HX7 5W-40 (SN Plus)
I have never seen a vehicle specced C3/B4, is that a mistype?

It likely won’t make a huge difference unless they have added the bulk 5w30 they keep in a barrel at that back.

I think the 1.4 and 1.5 engines get a bad rap, my daughters sounds like a little sewing machine, she gets 35mpg overall out of it in mostly urban running, closer to 50mpg at sensible speeds on longer runs.

And she is likely going to keep it for another 5/6 years.

The Q2 would actually suit the plug in hybrid running gear that came in the Golf GTE and Passat GTE.

The Passat is a nice car, though my preference would be a Skoda because they are so much cheaper to buy in the UK.

I am sure it will serve the owner well.

Is it DSG? Or manual?
Please keep in mind that North American market is vastly different with different offerings. Only engine in recent Pasat is 2.0 Budak cycle. Not sure was it 2021 when they dropped 3.6 VR6.

Back