Dexron II for my '02 4Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to go and change out all my ATF's to the specific Toyota fluid that is called for. I thought all of them were either T-V or WS. Bought 24 of each at my faithful Lexus Dealership. You will never guess
how surprised I was after draining the ATF out of my 2002 4Runner this afternoon. I took the 14 ml hex bolt in to get a new crush washer and as I was inspecting it I thought I saw "D II" stamped on it. I thought I better get
my reading glasses. I did and sure enough, big as day I confirmed the drain bolt said DEXRON II. I said to my self, somebody has inadvertently swapped transmission drain bolts because I know my 2002 would call
for T-IV. Then it hit me. Read the owner's manual and then I will prove this was just a simple bolt swap issue. Well, I got the owner's manual out and turned to the Transmission spec page and I couldn't believe what I saw.
My heart sunk. My transmission calls for DEXRON II.

What do I do? Please don't waste your time telling me to use Maxlife, please? Pretty please? No sugar on top though.
grin2.gif

I want to use whatever Toyota ATF I am supposed to. I know WS won't work. I don't think T-IV will work. Do I just go and find some generic Dexron III?

Remember, my point is not to use a multi-vehicle ATF. Amsoil is out. Schaeffers is out. Maxlife it out. I am of sound mind. I'm removing all my Amsoil and Schaeffers in my other car's transmissions and replacing with T-IV or WS.

I hear you on the MaxLife. I think the T-IV will be fine and probably a better fluid than Dexron II. You can check with your dealership as they may be using the T-IV in the older Toyota's that originally had Dexron.

What about a TES-295 clone that's recommended for Dexron III applications. Dexron III superseded Dex II and should work fantastically and be a lot closer to the original fluid spec Viscosity. I have a particular fluid in mind, but it's not Toyota branded, so you probably won't like it. What say you?

Originally Posted by BlakeB
What about a TES-295 clone that's recommended for Dexron III applications. Dexron III superseded Dex II and should work fantastically and be a lot closer to the original fluid spec Viscosity. I have a particular fluid in mind, but it's not Toyota branded, so you probably won't like it. What say you?

I'm game if it is a specific Dexron II or III ATF.

What a surprise? LOL!!

Dex II did not even exist anymore in 2002.
My 2000 Camry just used regular MaxLife sometimes even Supertech.

I am not sure why you don't like the multi vehicle ATF.
A lot of people use it in older Toyota without any issues.

Last edited:
dexron-II was superseded by dexron-III which was superseded by dexron-VI. I use dex VI in my old BMW, my old Sienna and in my old Accord and it works just fine. dexron-VI fluid is the proper choice for your vehicle if it originally specified dexron-II.

I was using Maxlife in my Sienna for a while but I found some Citgo dex-VI at the farm store for a good price so that's what I'm using now.

Originally Posted by Gebo

I'm game if it is a specific Dexron II or III ATF.

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=406124&docFormat=PDF

Keep in mind that TES-389 is basically a synthetic version of Dexron III. I don't know how locally available this would be for you, but I can get it where I live.

https://parts.greenstoyotaoflexingt...ssion-Fluid-DII/69278804/00718ATF00.html

This is hard to find at a reasonable price. I guess this is my "best" choice at this point.

Hold on a minute.

That linked fluid is not Dexron II. It is a Dexron III compatible fluid. It appears to be called "DII" for some reason in Toyota-speak? Which is not inconceivable. Are you saying your manual says to source "Dexron II" fluid, or "DII?" Because they may not be the same thing. Here's another vendor of the fluid (Amazon). You can click on the image of the back label, enlarge it and clearly see it is a Dexron III compatible fluid.

And as JMJ said, Dexron II was long gone by 2002 and no new car would have been spec'd for it. What transmission is in it? I would have to believe an Aisin A340 variant of one flavor or another, depending upon drivetrain configuration and year. Those came with Dexron III in 2002; earliest versions shipped with Dexron II in the late 80s/early 90s. Maybe they just never altered the stamping on the fill bolts, or the Toyota internal labeling was different.

Everything anyone needs to know about the correct transmission fluid to use, from 1962 to the present but don't know the questions to ask. Included are warnings about using the wrong fluids. Probably the most relevant part for the OP starts at around the 22-minute mark.

The presenter is Prof. John Kelly of Weber University, Utah.

There also are videos about GM, Ford and Chrysler auto-transmission fluid histories, with many more warnings.

Aren't all Dexron fluids after Dexron II of similar consistency with the exception of improved friction modifiers?
Some one has to be the GM Dexron expert about these fluids...........in BITOG.

Originally Posted by Oro_O
https://parts.greenstoyotaoflexingt...ssion-Fluid-DII/69278804/00718ATF00.html

This is hard to find at a reasonable price. I guess this is my "best" choice at this point.

Hold on a minute.

That linked fluid is not Dexron II. It is a Dexron III compatible fluid. It appears to be called "DII" for some reason in Toyota-speak? Which is not inconceivable. Are you saying your manual says to source "Dexron II" fluid, or "DII?" Because they may not be the same thing. Here's another vendor of the fluid (Amazon). You can click on the image of the back label, enlarge it and clearly see it is a Dexron III compatible fluid.

And as JMJ said, Dexron II was long gone by 2002 and no new car would have been spec'd for it. What transmission is in it? I would have to believe an Aisin A340 variant of one flavor or another, depending upon drivetrain configuration and year. Those came with Dexron III in 2002; earliest versions shipped with Dexron II in the late 80s/early 90s. Maybe they just never altered the stamping on the fill bolts, or the Toyota internal labeling was different.

Here are some pics to help.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dex III superseded DII and is backward compatible. Dex II and Dex III and Mercon were basically the same formula and interchangeable. Dex VI superseded Dex III and is backward compatible. Mercon V superseded Mercon and is backward compatible. So you can use either Dex VI or Marcon V. I did a lot of research into this when it came time to change the ATF in my 2000 4Runner. I chose to go with Mercon V to keep things simple since I own 2 Fords that use it. I'm using Mobil1 ATF in the Fords and 4Runner and it's working very well.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Dex III superseded DII and is backward compatible. Dex II and Dex III and Mercon were basically the same formula and interchangeable. Dex VI superseded Dex III and is backward compatible. Mercon V superseded Mercon and is backward compatible. So you can use either Dex VI or Marcon V. I did a lot of research into this when it came time to change the ATF in my 2000 4Runner. I chose to go with Mercon V to keep things simple since I own 2 Fords that use it. I'm using Mobil1 ATF in the Fords and 4Runner and it's working very well.

What bothers me is the viscosity difference. What do you use in your power steering? Mobil 1?

What bothers me is the viscosity difference. What do you use in your power steering? Mobil 1?

Another reason I went with Mercon V was the viscosity was closer to Dex III than Dex VI. Dex VI is "thinner".

PS is not finicky at all. I use Super Tech Mercon V.

Another reason I went with Mercon V was the viscosity was closer to Dex III than Dex VI. Dex VI is "thinner".

I am confused. I thought you were using Mobil 1 ATF. Are you simply meaning you are using Mobil 1 because it specs out to Mercon V?

I am confused. I thought you were using Mobil 1 ATF. Are you simply meaning you are using Mobil 1 because it specs out to Mercon V?

Now you have me confused. I use Mobil1 ATF in the transmission and Super Tech Mercon V in the power steering.

At the Mobil1 website they say Mobil1 ATF is suitable for use in Mercon/Mercon V and Dexron II/III. The viscosity of Mercon V is closer to Dex III than Dex VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back