5w-20 accidentally used instead of 5w-30 in '05 Altima

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is the third thread this year that had nice things to say about STP. First, Fram finds redemption, and now this. For the records, dumping and reusing is waaaay to much of an over reaction. If this oil burns down a bit, doubtful but the car does have high mileage, a bottle of STP might be worth dumping in.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
My grandfather-in-law poured the wrong oil in his 2005 Nissan Altima last week (QR25DE with 290k miles).

Just add a quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer to thicken it up a little
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by csandste
If this oil burns down a bit, doubtful but the car does have high mileage, a bottle of STP might be worth dumping in.

Totally agree. No harm done whatsoever

Think of the wrong (thinner) oil viscosity like this ...

You are a stuntman, about to jump off a 10 story building into a foam cushion. The foam is usually 10 feet thick. You have done this stunt before, and, yes, 10 feet of foam was fine.

Today, one of the crew tells you that the 10 foot foam cushion was not available. But they found a 7 foot deep foam cushion. It will be fine ...

Do you jump ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by geeman789

You are a stuntman, about to jump off a 10 story building into a foam cushion. The foam is usually 10 feet thick. You have done this stunt before, and, yes, 10 feet of foam was fine.

Today, one of the crew tells you that the 10 foot foam cushion was not available. But they found a 7 foot deep foam pit. It will be fine ...

Do you jump ?

What's the composition of the foam? Is a stronger, firmer foam used in the 7 foot pit that would cushion the fall just as effectively? Equivalent of comparing a group III synthetic 5w-30 with a mostly PAO synthetic 5w-20 or 0w-20.

Besides, if we were comparing Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 to Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0w-20, the difference in KV100 would be less than 1 cSt. Also comparing a GTL 30 grade to a PAO 20 grade. Would you sweat the difference?

I use a PAO/POE 5w-20 oil in my LT1 that calls for 5w/10w-30. It's a drag race only car, I change the oil annually, and it does just fine. The HTHS of that 5w-20 is in the 30 grade territory though and engine runs for less than 3 minutes total from the pull into the burnout box and idle back to the pits. I'm interested to see how this QR25DE holds up to a 20 grade for 3-5k miles.

Today, one of the crew tells you that the 10 foot foam cushion was not available. But they found a 7 foot deep foam cushion.
You have the right idea with that analogy, except that the substitute cushion is actually almost 9 feet thick. Making it only 7 feet exaggerates the difference.

Originally Posted by CR94
You have the right idea with that analogy, except that the substitute cushion is actually almost 9 feet thick. Making it only 7 feet exaggerates the difference.

M1 5w20 is 8.9 cSt , M1 5w30 is 11.0 cSt at 100*c.

OK , the foam needs to be 8 ' 9 " 45/64 's feet thick ...

The point is the cushion is thinner. At what point does that become a problem ? Nobody really knows.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Settle down, you're going to throw a clot.

The driver is 78 years old and drives very little. I took that into account.

Two heaping teaspoons of Assam Black in the tea with a 20 min, steep make a boy testy
wink.gif

Could be OK with a 3 -5 mile drive to Church.

But:
NO DLC on tappets or molycoat on skirts on the older QR engine.

REAL long stroke.

VVT.

Seven foot long timing chain.

But, that Gramps will have good Luck - only I have the bad luck ...

I would dump it and put it in the car it's meant for. Use the 5w30 in the Nissan.
He could just use 5/30 in both vehicles in the future to avoid mix-up.

Originally Posted by Pinoak
I would dump it and put it in the car it's meant for. Use the 5w30 in the Nissan.
He could just use 5/30 in both vehicles in the future to avoid mix-up.

There is no reason to dump the oil other than to make you feel better.

M1 5w20 is 8.9 cSt , M1 5w30 is 11.0 cSt at 100*c. ...
More relevant numbers are 2.9 vs 2.6 minimum HTHS. 10×(2.6/2.9)= 8.97.

M1 5w20 is 8.9 cSt , M1 5w30 is 11.0 cSt at 100*c. ...
More relevant numbers are 2.9 vs 2.6 minimum HTHS. 10×(2.6/2.9)= 8.97.

M1 5w-30 HTHS = 3.1 cP
M1 5w-20 HTHS = 2.75 cP

Both are SN+.

I'm not sure about the NOACK of either one.

Here's my thinking...

If this was a turbo boosted GDI motor.... Short tripping a lot.... Or being run really hard a fair amount of the time.. Then yeah maybe I would want a 5w30 in there...

However... This is a 2.5 naturally aspirated motor... Non turbo, non GDI motor... Low power density motor...Not being driven hard at all...

Given all of this.... Leave the 5w20 in it.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Here's my thinking...

If this was a turbo boosted GDI motor.... Short tripping a lot.... Or being run really hard a fair amount of the time.. Then yeah maybe I would want a 5w30 in there...

However... This is a 2.5 naturally aspirated motor... Non turbo, non GDI motor... Low power density motor...Not being driven hard at all...

Given all of this.... Leave the 5w20 in it.

I agree and to add, the driver is 78 and it sounds like he drives very cautiously according to the op.

I used M1 5-20 in 1978 in my 1978 Dodge Slant 6 which called for 10-30 or 10-40. The engine purred like a kitten.

With modern Variable Valve Control/Valve Timing, what are the opinions of this board on...periodically(summers only)using a 5w20/5w30 full synthetic when in fact, 0w20 is the only oil recommended.

Last edited:
I can't comment on 5-20 but the only time I used pp 5-30 HM, which imo is a very thin oil. My car clanked more than usual. I went back to valvoline the next change and all was well.

The Sequence IVA, part of SN, is run on a '94 Nissan KA24E 4 cylinder spec'ed for 5w30. 0w20 and 5w20 oils qualify on this engine. Other tests run Buick V6's and other engines meant to run a 30 weight too.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
The Sequence IVA, part of SN, is run on a '94 Nissan KA24E 4 cylinder spec'ed for 5w30. 0w20 and 5w20 oils qualify on this engine. Other tests run Buick V6's and other engines meant to run a 30 weight too.

Is there a white paper on this? I'm bored and need something to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back