2015 Subaru Legacy: Reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gas mileage on my 2014 Subaru is nothing to brag about, but it doesn't burn oil and the CVT tranny has the 2.5 engine turning at somewhat below 2,500 at 80MPH on a flat highway.

Originally Posted by Miller88
Originally Posted by billt460
Manual transmission subarus are extremely low geared. My 2018 Forester has 4.44 gears. On the highway it just screams.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Now that I think about it, every manual I�ve driven in the past 20 years (small cars and trucks) has been over 3k RPM at over ~65 MPH. 3200 RPM @ 65 MPH rings a bell for both of my previous MT Subies.

That is insane. Those type of unnecessarily high highway RPM's do nothing but consume fuel, increase emissions, and wear out engines. 5 decades ago when cars only had 2 and 3 speed automatic transmissions, along with 3 and 4 speed manuals, higher revving engines were somewhat unavoidable if you wanted any type of performance.

Today it's ridiculous. Both my 2015 Jeep and 2018 Toyota have 8-Speed automatic transmissions. The Jeep turns 2,000 RPM @ 80 MPH in 8th gear. And the Toyota turns the same at 75 MPH with it's non turbo 2.5L, 4-Cylinder. And both are 2 of the fastest accelerating vehicles I've ever owned. The performance and fuel mileage they both deliver is outstanding. If all these new Subaru's are revving that high, it's no wonder they're all burning oil in no time.

But the low geared, close range manual transmission is what sold me on the Subaru. It does great towing (a lot better than my poorly geared 5 speed focus) and is quite fun to drive. 3000 on the highway is a bit excessive, but I can still get 30-32 mpg out of it going 65 to 70. I still have to drop a gear or two to pass on the highway. But it's a Japanese 4 cylinder, it can run at 3000 all day and be happy.

My Focus wouldn't hit 3000 until a hair over 80.

Maybe they think people are to lazy to down shift on the highway. wrx does around 2700rpm at 75

My friend and his wife bought a '16 Outback new. It did have a catastrophic (had to be towed) CVT failure around 25K miles, which was obviously covered under warranty. They still love the car as long as it doesn't do it again, and I think it's been trouble free otherwise.

Originally Posted by DaRider34
billt460 said:
Miller88 said:
Manual transmission subarus are extremely low geared. My 2018 Forester has 4.44 gears. On the highway it just screams.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Now that I think about it, every manual I�ve driven in the past 20 years (small cars and trucks) has been over 3k RPM at over ~65 MPH. 3200 RPM @ 65 MPH rings a bell for both of my previous MT Subies.

That is insane. Those type of unnecessarily high highway RPM's do nothing but consume fuel, increase emissions, and wear out engines. 5 decades ago when cars only had 2 and 3 speed automatic transmissions, along with 3 and 4 speed manuals, higher revving engines were somewhat unavoidable if you wanted any type of performance...

My 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek with a 5MT was easily into the 3000rpm range at 67-70mpg as well. More than once I tried to find a 6th gear! LOL

It still did pretty well fuel economy wise. It's just a different driving experience when my previous ride as a 2012 Legacy 2.5i premium with the CVT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back