Polling the Supertech Crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by danez_yoda
I put some ST synthetic in my 10 year old Lawnmower and the carburetor fell off. Put the carb back on drained that Walmart junk out and poured in some > and it ran fine.
lol.gif

There is always one naysayer so I thought I would jump the line.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
I put some ST synthetic in my 10 year old Lawnmower and the carburetor fell off. Put the carb back on drained that Walmart junk out and poured in some > and it ran fine.
lol.gif

There is always one naysayer so I thought I would jump the line.

The point was made that with rebates and clearance sales you can get synthetic oil (equal or better than ST) for >$12. I'm never have less than 2-3 OCIs worth on the shelf for each car. Average price is about $10/jug.

If that was not available ST would be the next choice.

How do you know it's better than ST?

Because I paid $10-$12 and got the same result. Car ran forever with no oil related issue. better.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
For the thickies: 5w40

Is this a Canada only grade? Searched on Walmarts website and it doesn't show up.

If your Walmart website is anything like ours a lot of items are available in store aren't listed online.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by StevieC
If your Walmart website is anything like ours a lot of items are available in store aren't listed online.
mad.gif

I asked about the ST 5W40 and was told " I have never saw that in our store"
frown.gif

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
frown.gif

I was commenting based on panthermike's post. (Just in case you were replying to me and not to the thread in general)

Originally Posted by panthermike
Is this a Canada only grade? Searched on Walmarts website and it doesn't show up.

Last edited:
1) Have used both but conventional more than synthetic
2) A lot of HD30 and mostly 5-30 synthetic
3) The HD30 is used on power equipment and changed about twice a season
4) LONG time, Walmart oils at least 20 years and likely longer
5) Three of the Gravely tractors are 1970s and still run better than 90% of the new stuff

I've used ST SYN in all three vehicles for a while. I just recently switched to using the 5w30 version in all, 2010 Tacoma, 2013 Altima and 2008 PT Cruiser to make it easier. When my stash of Chevron 5w30 and 5w30 is gone, I'll switch the JD tractor over to ST 15w40.
Engines all run fine, not much seat-of-the-pants difference and nice and quiet, so no complaints. I do 1 you or 5 miles on all.

1) Conventional
2) 5w30 HM
3) 3000 mi (so far)
4) First time
5) No problem

Although I have started topping off with 5w20, the ST did help reduce oil consumption on the Accord. However that could be from the heavier grade.

Originally Posted by FA_WRX
well, with SN+ and GF-5 approvals I wounder what the consensus is for DIT use.

I would consider trying the full syn on a shorter OCI at least to start.

DIT?

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
frown.gif

I was commenting based on panthermike's post. (Just in case you were replying to me and not to the thread in general)

Originally Posted by panthermike

I posted those photos of the 5w40 European. It was on the shelf in Calgary last fall. Snagglefoot.

Last edited:
Have a co-worker who uses ST and haven't heard any complaints from him , however regarding "... how it has worked ..." question (#5) ... nothing against ST but in general with any oil, you would not know unless doing extensive testing with hundreds of thousands of miles and checking the internal engine parts ...

If you are buying a new car every 50K miles, you can even use olive oil. It has higher hths than 0Wx20
shocked2.gif
grin2.gif

Forgot to mention. I use ST Conv 10w40 in all my outdoor power equipment (and those that I service that are not mine). Absolutely no complaints.

I've used both the conventional and the synthetic. I service a lot of family members/friends vehicles and use Supertech conventional for 5,000 mile intervals, and synthetic for 7000-8000 mile OCI's. They all run smooth, and look clean inside. For the price, it can't be beat and is probably no worse than the "bulk oil" these same friends/family would pay more for at a quick lube. I also use the 15w40 in the power equipment I service as well.

Supertech synthetic 5w20 has been the quietest oil in my mom's 2011 Honda Fit with it's clattery 1.5L.

ST is my first choice whenever I run out of stash of super cheap oils I tend to find from time to time. I love the 0w20 full synthetic and the $15.88 price is hard to beat.

Originally Posted by OilUzer

If you are buying a new car every 50K miles, you can even use olive oil. It has higher hths than 0Wx20
shocked2.gif
grin2.gif

Selling vehicles at 50K are generally always a considerable loss.
Why-not just find a dealer offering you a three year lease at 15k per year. Or if it's taking you longer to reach 50k, lease three years at 10-12K? Leasing is cheaper, especially when you stick to the same dealer.

Best outlets to look are dealers that sell three makes or more.
For instance: My daughter's dealer sells Honda, Kia and Nissan. Buick was also there for the past 15 years. Just recently did Buick move out to join a GMC dealer down the road.
Anyway, my daughter always gets a good deal on renewing her leases. She's renewed four consecutive times there and can't find better terms of her agreement anywhere else.

Am I a leaser?..... no way Jose! I am first and last owner of all my vehicles. I even kept a lemon for 18 years. It was a 1999 Chevy S-10. But not complaining really, considering it was the only lemon - out of the 7 new vehicles my wife and I purchased.

Last edited:
I've been running ST syn 5w20 in my moms 2007 Kia Optima and my dad's 1994 Jeep Cherokee. I've used it for over a year now, roughly 5-7 oci's on both at 3k OCIs. They don't believe in the over 3k interval lol. They run like a typical oil, but definitely cheaper than the M1 I used to get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back