Maybe I'm crazy - changing engine oil at 500 miles

At 500 miles I've decided to change my oil. I know Toyota says 10,000 but the initial break in is the most important as it can really determine the overall life of the engine or whatever component you're changing the fluid in. Maybe I'm old school not really crazy about the Mobil 1 either went with Castrol edge 0w20.

From here on out I'll probably do four to five thousand mile oil changes. Oils cheap replacing drivetrain components is not. Probably a little overkill but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by TRDPRO85
At 500 miles I've decided to change my oil. I know Toyota says 10,000 but the initial break in is the most important as it can really determine the overall life of the engine or whatever component you're changing the fluid in. Maybe I'm old school not really crazy about the Mobil 1 either went with Castrol edge 0w20.

From here on out I'll probably do four to five thousand mile oil changes. Oils cheap replacing drivetrain components is not. Probably a little overkill but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Excess oil changes can accelerate those valve deposit problems on the direct injection engines.

How so? I'm curious as to how clean oil that's a good brand would leave behind deposits on valves? I could be all wrong about this but that would be like saying waxing your vehicle too often can make the paint come off.

I'm a 6 month or 2x per year oil change guy. Absolutely nothing wrong with Mobil 1.. ran 0w20 AFE in the wife's 17' Corolla.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
I'm a 6 month or 2x per year oil change guy. Absolutely nothing wrong with Mobil 1.. ran 0w20 AFE in the wife's 17' Corolla.

6 month or twice a year? How is that even close to a reasonable interval?

For my Sonata that would be 10k mile OCIs.

For my Jeep that would be 1k mile OCIs.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by Oildudeny

6 month or twice a year? How is that even close to a reasonable interval?

For my Sonata that would be 10k mile OCIs.

For my Jeep that would be 1k mile OCIs.

Well depending on one's driving, for me my oci schedule works fine.

Originally Posted by pitzel

Excess oil changes can accelerate those valve deposit problems on the direct injection engines.

OK, and leaving DI caused, heavily fuel diluted oil in the sump for greatly extended OCIs can do even more harm than IVDs will.
wink.gif

The op also has the factory added port injection system to 'take care of' those pesky IVDs as well.
smile.gif

It's not that Mobil is a bad oil I just think for the money there's better.

Castrol? Or what else?

And why do you think that?

Castrol being number one and Valvoline being second. I've seen a few engines that has ran the Mobil one and though it wasn't sludged up it had a lot of varnish built up in certain areas.

I've always seen engines absolutely spotless with Castrol and a couple with the Valvoline. Most people buy the Mobil one because of the advertising and the name.

Originally Posted by spasm3
I dumped the oil in my cx-5 at just under 400 miles. I like to get the metal laden oil out early.

So what's the filter for?

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
I dumped the oil in my cx-5 at just under 400 miles. I like to get the metal laden oil out early.

Have you not noticed that the oil in brand new engines frequently show elevated metals in uoa tests, despite having a filter. Filters catch the big stuff.

Castrol being number one and Valvoline being second. I've seen a few engines that has ran the Mobil one and though it wasn't sludged up it had a lot of varnish built up in certain areas.

I've always seen engines absolutely spotless with Castrol and a couple with the Valvoline. Most people buy the Mobil one because of the advertising and the name.

And you're sure these engines have run ONLY Mobil 1, Castrol and Valvoline their entire lives?

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder

Have you not noticed that the oil in brand new engines frequently show elevated metals in uoa tests, despite having a filter. Filters catch the big stuff.

I'm sure if it was an actual issue, there would be a mention in the owners manual saying "do the first oil change at X miles. After that, do them at Y miles."

Back