how decent are the oil filter's at the drive up oil change places?

any idea on what type of filter to expect from a drive up oil change place? is it safe to say that the filter should be able to last a minimum of 7500 miles ish now a days even if they are using economy branded ones? or should i be weery?

asking regarding that some of these places have good deals for synthetic oil changes but not sure what to expect on the filter since that would also determine the oci

It will be the lowest cost bulk purchase filters. A few national chain places that claim to carry high performance oil and filter may have Fran’s top tier (never could remember thr name), M1, and Puralator or Wix but expect to pay 2x or even 3x the price of Walmart.

Just get a ramp and change your oil bruh.

Unless the filter fails it won't make a difference in real life despite the marketing claims.

OOTMH,

Jiffy Lube (Pennzoil branded filter)
VIOC (Valvoline branded filter)
Mobil 1 ExpressLube (Mobil branded filter)

That's what you could/should get on a job, but I'm not exactly sure

Plus your standard Mighty/Purolator/Group 7/Fram/Wix Pro-Tec/Carquest branded jobber filters

so would any of these cheap filters still last 7500 miles ish? or does it beat the purpose of even getting a synthetic oil change

Canadian Tire up here uses Motomaster-branded filters for OC’s; they are just red-painted Fram EG’s. If we don’t have a MM filter, it gets an orange can Fram. These filters are designed to work for whatever the OEM-designated interval is.
Most people don’t ask about the filter, but if they do, they are welcome to upgrade to a better filter - MM ‘OE Plus’; Fram TG or XG, Mobil or Castrol filters.

Probably fine for 5-7.5k mile oil changes. Keep in mind millions of cars get this kind of maintenance frequently. If there were a ton of systemic issues, we would likely hear about it. Def understand your concern though!

Most of the jobbber filters cut and posted here are structurally solid. As mentioned efficiency isn’t great, but adequate.

I don't think too many manufacturers actually rate their jobber filters by miles. Luber Finer doesn't, Bosch doesn't.

Is it likely to last - probably but who knows. If your only keeping your car 100K, it doesn't likely matter.

Average car on the road in US at an all time high age - 12.5 years. We're doing something right. I'd guess a good percent of the cars that get oil changes are at quick lube places, WalMart, etc and are running low end filters.

so would any of these cheap filters still last 7500 miles ish? or does it beat the purpose of even getting a synthetic oil change
I used to run Quaker State filters that cost like $1 or $2 on a Civic. I still see it driving around after I traded it in at around 200k miles. I can't believe someone would buy a used car that had run such awful oil filters changed every 5k miles. I'm sure that engine is sputtering now and he'll be luck to get another 200k out of it.

Sorry, my personal view is that it probably doesn't matter much. I just avoid saying that on here because the $35 oil filter people will let me know how lucky I was.

Back