Best filter cutter for the price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one it works.

Screenshot_20181214-224315_Chrome.jpg

I got a Glenco Cutter off ebay about 2 years ago. It is one that has a center cutter and a post that holds the filter.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It works OK, and after doing 20 or so filters, it is getting a bit harder to do filters, you have to hold it very carefully or it will slip, especially if it i a smaller filter.
If I had it to do over again, I would spend the extra and get a Longacre one and be done with it.

Wasn't there an exhaust pipe cutter that was reasonably priced? Seems wild to pay $40+ just to cut open oil filters.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Wasn't there an exhaust pipe cutter that was reasonably priced? Seems wild to pay $40+ just to cut open oil filters.

The Harbor Freight exhaust cutter that was made in Taiwan I believe. Harbor Freight doesn't even show any exhaust cutter anymore on their website.

I guess it depends on how often you cut open filters and how much enjoyment it gives you....
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ZZman

I guess it depends on how often you cut open filters and how much enjoyment it gives you....
smile.gif

I definitely enjoy it but my hacksaw method zaps a lot of fun out!

I use a cutoff wheel in a grinder....

cut the can immediately above the seam crimp,
and no deeper than the sheetmetal of the can itself.

None of the dust & grit gets inside the can

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
The Harbor Freight exhaust cutter that was made in Taiwan I believe. Harbor Freight doesn't even show any exhaust cutter anymore on their website.
Still own mine (shown) and still working fine. Requires a tad of finesse in cutting the filter open but gets the job done, for $15 the price was price was right. I've more than recouped it's cost. Unfortunately HF later moved production to China and members reported they were garbage, broke quickly. Not long after, discontinued.

The similar designed 31500 Lisle exhaust cutoff tool linked earlier only has a 2.5" diameter max which eliminates a majority of filters. The HF was/is ~3.25" max, I've done common 3614 size with it.

I was given the Summit/(Jegs) pictured earlier cutter as a gift prior to purchase of the HF. Main complaint, smaller filters like common 7317/6607, 4386/4967 don't reach guide wheels, rub on cross bar. Still works, but less than ideal.

If you don't mind spending ~$68 Amazon price, the mentioned Longacre probably the crème dela crème of cutters.

Other methods mentioned like hacksaw and Dremel will get it done too, though can shavings may be present as result of use. Just depends on how much willing to spend and desired outcome.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I would buy 53Stude's recommendation. He is the King Of Oil Filter Cutters here at BITOG.

Thank You for the kind words comrade
wink.gif

The Longacre is by far best cutter IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back