Recommend a cutter for plastic repair "hot" staples (steel wire 0.6-0.8mm)?

Is there any (not-too-expensive) flush-to-surface cutter for 0.8mm hard wire (steel) staples?

Ideally, the extensions left sticking out after the repair, should be cut close as possible to the plastic surface.

The staples are represented as steel at 0.6-0.8mm.

Soldering/PCB-work cutters are for softer wire. (The one that came with the plastic-repair-kit is so chewed up it no longer cuts the staples.)

More expensive hard-wire cutters found online seem to be for cutting wire to length, rather nipping off at a surface.

Lots of creative minds on this forum. Try to post a picture of what you are trying to repair and hoping someone can come up with an idea on how to repair it.

Lookup "flush cut side cutters" or "flush cut wire cutters" I don't have a set, just know they exist.

Not sure what the best cutter is however for those who have never welded plastic those inexpensive guns with staples work very well. I bought one from Amazon and repaired a cracked bumper cover and you cant even tell it was repaired.

Thanks for the comments.
Tool style is probably not too important, but shouldn't be too big, as have been using in smaller spaces.
At the bottom is a pic as requested.
Asking here because have just been searching the web blindly.

Found I'm using an inexpensive plastic repair kit more often - and more effectively - than expected. So was looking for a better - but not too expensive - cutter. The one included with the kit, after a few uses, is so damaged it can't reliably cut through the staples.

The "staples" can be considered hard steel, and most cutters/nippers I found online - like the one included with the kit - are worded for soft metal wire. One company pointed me to (expensive) tungsten-carbide C7000XS series cutters from Excelta.

Blindly searching the web, other (less-expensive) possibles, found were a guitar fret cutter that claims "suitable for use on harder modern stainless-steel fretwire" and orthodontic wire cutters (of dubious overseas manufacture).

staplescl.jpg

That looks like a hardened steel. You need a small less expensive 14" bolt cutter like this.

Amazon

Last edited:
Hmmm. Had not used bolt cutter as a search term. Looks like there might even be a type for closer to surface cuts like this example that came up at McMaster-Carr.

The mystery of search algorithms... The title words for that listing are nearly identical to one of the search times used, but was not in the results.
Also, had no idea there were many different names for this type of cutting tool.

Back