Tool roll for the Outback

So I’m putting together a little tool roll for my Subaru Outback. Need some suggestions on what specifically to carry. The tools will be used in case of a breakdown (mine or someone else’s). Besides the basics, like a 5 in one screwdriver, pliers, crescent wrench, cutters, and a knife- what should I carry? I have a nice Carhartt tool roll that I’m planning on using. So I’d like everything to fit in there.

Are you planning on traveling in remote areas with little to no service? Do you travel between properties occasionally to maintain equipment, even as a residential person? That would be a whole different thread request, such as "what tools should I bring to remote areas, or travel between properties."

Since your 2024 Outback comes with a full sized spare, and i assume relatively OK tools, you dont need much. If you want to upgrade that stuff though here are some suggestions:

1.5 ton aluminum racing jack from Harbor Freight.
A few 2x6 short boards to even out whatever uneven surface you are jacking on.
half inch deep socket set. half inch socket wrench. You probably only really need 17, or 19, or 21mm. i forget which. Oh, and your fancy lug nut lock socket.
half inch breaker bar.
3 ton jack stands, or jack stands that work with that fancy lifted outback for safety.

I took my regular tool box with 20 pounds of tools on my 2100 mile drive to Iowa and back in a 20 year old 226,000 mile car, and didn't even open it. I don't think I would bother on a 2024. I don't think there is anything you could fix by the side of the road anyway besides tire issues.

Locking pliers, Torx bits, Allen keys.

Most likely thing I've seen happen off-road is serpentine belt coming off, shredding.

So, a spare belt, and whatever tools you need to change that. And of course, tire tools for changing a tire.

And of course one of these.

1691971019013.jpg

Fox Business

I took my regular tool box with 20 pounds of tools on my 2100 mile drive to Iowa and back in a 20 year old 226,000 mile car, and didn't even open it. I don't think I would bother on a 2024. I don't think there is anything you could fix by the side of the road anyway besides tire issues.

It’s not always you that breaks down…. I don’t mind helping someone in a bind.

I've long stuck with a cheap set of HF tools in the blow-molded box thing that they come in. Very cheap, very limited, but, not a lot can I fix on the side of the road these days.

I do like the idea of the 1.5T jack. Easier (safer?) than most scissor jacks. Only problem I have is that it and the jack handle like to roll around in my trunk (if I could be bothered there's probably an easy way to secure). I wouldn't bother with a jack stand, that level of work I'm just not going to do on the side of any road.

4 way lug wrench might be useful.

Now if you have some place to shove this roll of tools, some nook, then I could see going that route. Don't need a lot, probably a ratchet, one extension, and 8/10/12/13/14/15/17/19 sockets and wrenches. Pliers, regular slip joint, maybe the water pump(?) ones and needle nose. After that, it again seems like, buy the tool as you need it, while at the store buying the part that needs replacing.

It’s not always you that breaks down…. I don’t mind helping someone in a bind.
In that case SAE sizes might be good, never know who you might help. Might not even be automotive, a couple of times I did some work while at the inlaws on their mower or wheelbarrow or whatever.

Jugs of water? Young gal (neighbor's friend) had a pinhole somewhere in the "right angled hose assembly" atop a Toyota engine. It got her home.
She asked if I could fix it (which anyone could've) but I advised her to drive the 100 miles home and have her mechanic order and replace all of them at once.

In the event of a PCV system sucking in a load of oil on an Interstate run, I'd bring a quart of matching oil if I was OOCD (Oil OCD).

Road flares.

Coming at this from a professional side the only reason there are tools in the back of my truck is because I do diagnostics and programming for other shops. If my truck breaks down it gets a ride on the tow truck. Just because I can fix my vehicle on the side of the road doesnt mean I want to.

Stainless Steel zip ties.
Safety Seal puncture repair kit
Inflator
LiFePo jump starter
LED Flashlight (whatever style you like, as long as there is some hands-free holding option)
Reflective Safety Vest
Flares (LED warning lights, whatever)
Gloves, thin (for liquids) and leather (for cold or hot work)

I buy cars far away and drive them home, and drive my classic cars far away.

In recent memory:

When I bought my 1985 MB 190D, I brought a multimeter, my SK 1/4” drive shallow and deep socket set, and a roll of stahlwille ratcheting wrenches. And a Vlair 88p air pump.

The one thing I wanted/needed, a 6mm wrench (to raise idle a bit) didn’t work because it was too fat. Lesson learned, bring standard wrenches. This is an emergency use thing after all.

When we drove my 1991 MB 350SD out to the HPL event, I streamlined a bit. I brought:

Set of snap on mid length 1/4” drive metric sockets and an extension and universal, stahlwille non ratcheting wrench set, 8-19 plus Armstrong 6mm, multimeter, snap on ratcheting screwdriver, cheap exchangeable but screwdriver. All in a US made Klein tools bag. Very compact.

I’d go with something like the latter.

If there are special tools that experience suggests might be needed, think about them. But less kind of is more. I figure in the age of Uber, there really isn’t much of a situation, even in semi desolate spots out west, where you couldn’t get some additional regukar tools in a pinch. Carrying too much heavy stuff doesn’t do many favors.

Hose clamps, red and yellow lens repair tape, spare headlight bulb. I know, not really tools...
A good lug wrench in case someone added too many uggaduggas.

I like a nice big piece of cardboard if I have to change a tire. I would get a 1/2" x 2 ft breaker bar and no-mar socket for the lug nuts. I think the car comes with some tools. Never looked at them maybe pliers and a change-able screwdriver. Cheap stuff. Spare HL bulb someone mentioned sounds good , but likely you have LED so no need(?)

Back