TAN and TBN and further use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hammehead
Bitogers do UOAs in their small engines, not for economic reasons, more to proving a point or mere curiosity about hidden problems to be catch early. You should know that already.

That is my point.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Well said. I'm sure a good 90% of said curiosity UOA are to see how the oil is doing after X amount of miles and to check for abnormal engine wear. No good bang for the buck, if you really think about it. I’m sure doing 3,000 mile OCIs with $10 conventional oil is cheaper then some high end PAO or Ester oil + UOA in an attempt to extend the interval by a few thousand miles.

And how many “bad” ones do we see? And of the “bad” ones how many of them do we even know the TAN on?

Anyone who follows the filter or UOA section knows I do a fair number of UOA, but I’m not trying to convince anyone that they actually mean anything. There is a very narrow window of problems that you’ll actually catch, and I simply don’t believe a few PPM of wear metals on a UOA makes much (any) difference.

BITOGers need for UOA’s to mean something, some are heavily invested in “data”, some in which oil is “better”, some just need to feel like they are doing something different/smarter/better than the average guy.

I should just STOP ... perhaps I will finish my latest little experiment and then stop, gotta prove a point you know...
grin.gif
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back