Valvoline Restore & Protect 5w-30 - Virgin UOA

@SubieRubyRoo
I have a question for you, I had a UOA done on Mobil 1 AFS and the molly is higher than the molly on a VOA for Mobil 1 and the vehicle was driven 3500 miles, I'm thinking Wix had to have made a mistake when they did the analysis.. it's posted on the UOA board for my Ford Edge.. 🤔😕

@SubieRubyRoo
I have a question for you, I had a UOA done on Mobil 1 AFS and the molly is higher than the molly on a VOA for Mobil 1 and the vehicle was driven 3500 miles, I'm thinking Wix had to have made a mistake when they did the analysis.. it's posted on the UOA board for my Ford Edge.. 🤔😕
Could be some carryover from the previous sample, since around 15-20% of the old oil is left in the engine.

The other less likely but still possible explanation is that the lab mixed up the sample with someone else’s 🤷‍♀️

Could be some carryover from the previous sample, since around 15-20% of the old oil is left in the engine.

The other less likely but still possible explanation is that the lab mixed up the sample with someone else’s 🤷‍♀️
Possibility I guess.. nothing really to concern myself with.. Thank you appreciate your help..
I will say that Valvoline is tempting is try, very nice hefty ad pack.

The only meaningful information that stands out from the other thread is that they seem to claim that it is an additive that is doing the work and not like the Blue Restore product which relied on Esters. That is now very clear from the VOA.
The MSDS discloses "PROPRIETARY SUBSTANCE OF HITEC 11188", but there's no information directly about that additive through Afton website or elsewhere.
That additive appears in all the Restore and Protect grades, but that's not necessarily relevant, it could be something else not even required to be disclosed.

11180 does not equal 11188
But yes I found that as well. Whether they are related, identical, or something else entirely is another level of speculation i'm not going to make.
I made the assumption that there was a typo and this is what he actually meant

Some initial reviews suggest it actually does work quite well. Time will tell.

1713715899428.jpg

Valvoline HM 150k shares the exact same additive package as this Restore & Protect product. They claim Syn. Blend on the HM but FS on this Restore. Just an observation & wonder if the Syn blend 150k could work well too but I see the HM is higher priced right now so that might be a bust.

Can you please post the 2 voa's
Yes, give me a min.

EDIT: Here they are

Valvoline HM 150k shares the exact same additive package as this Restore & Protect product.
Even if the numbers are identical, you cannot make this type of deduction based on a VOA. You can say "they appear to be similar" but statements like that are a bit on the naive side.

Even if the numbers are identical, you cannot make this type of deduction based on a VOA. You can say "they appear to be similar" but statements like that are a bit on the naive side.
The add packs are the same...period. I'm confident in that statement. That is something very commonly done w/the oil blenders. The base oils ratio's appear different though. One being a blend while the other full synthetic.

Last edited:
Back