Valvoline Restore & Protect 5w-30 - Virgin UOA

Here is the virgin report.

THERE’S NO OTHER MOTOR OIL LIKE IT???????

I asked for both TBN & TAN????

I'll call them tomorrow and see if they will come up with it.

DSCN8075.JPG

You do realize if there is a novel additive it may not be in the tested properties list of this VOA. I doubt such a specific claim would be made without proof. Valvoline does have a reputation to protect and probably wouldn't endeavor to mislead consumers with non defensible, easily produced test data.

Similar to MaxLife C3 but with Mg+Ca or MaxLife FE SN+. MaxLife oxidation is not relevant either.

They're likely using some novel additive and not a polar base oil to accomplish what they're claiming. Oxidation values for current Mobil 1 line are now all under 10 as well. Things change. Plus the cost of V base oils would probably increase the price.

Looks like a good oil. If it does what it claims to do then bonus points. Although, seeing other VOA’s of other Valvoline products, I’m surprised it didn’t have more molybdenum. Not that it matters that much anyways

Looks like a good oil. If it does what it claims to do then bonus points. Although, seeing other VOA’s of other Valvoline products, I’m surprised it didn’t have more molybdenum. Not that it matters that much anyways
Sure but doing what it claims is the point, not supposed to be a bonus.

The only meaningful information that stands out from the other thread is that they seem to claim that it is an additive that is doing the work and not like the Blue Restore product which relied on Esters. That is now very clear from the VOA.
The MSDS discloses "PROPRIETARY SUBSTANCE OF HITEC 11188", but there's no information directly about that additive through Afton website or elsewhere.
That additive appears in all the Restore and Protect grades, but that's not necessarily relevant, it could be something else not even required to be disclosed.

The only meaningful information that stands out from the other thread is that they seem to claim that it is an additive that is doing the work and not like the Blue Restore product which relied on Esters. That is now very clear from the VOA.
The MSDS discloses "PROPRIETARY SUBSTANCE OF HITEC 11188", but there's no information directly about that additive through Afton website or elsewhere.
That additive appears in all the Restore and Protect grades, but that's not necessarily relevant, it could be something else not even required to be disclosed.
I would not say it is very clear there are no ester components to this oil. No one has actually performed a test that would show this, only a cheap analysis showing oxidation values as a proxy. There are many, many types of esters with different functional groups and I would not be certain from this VOA. Just as those who say a product doesn't smell fruity.

And you are spot on about the SDS. Many esters are also nontoxic.

I would not say it is very clear there are no ester components to this oil. No one has actually performed a test that would show this, only a cheap analysis showing oxidation values as a proxy. There are many, many types of esters with different functional groups and I would not be certain from this VOA. Just as those who say a product doesn't smell fruity.
Fair.
Valvoline Premium Restore was probably based on the findings/disclosures in this patent, which seemed like they settled on a high ester content base oil as optimum.
My point was this is not that, which has been said.

Afton has recent patents on high temperature deposits.
With each new spec/regulation there seems to be tighter limits on deposit formation, so it is a topic that all the base oil/additive manufacturers and blenders are interested in and therefore novel products emerging.

Valvoline is interested in this topic and may have found a new way to achieve these results with the advance of base oils and additives.
Granted they are not claiming it is as strong as the Blue Restore or other products.

Back