2018 Accord 2.0t-Oil suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Kidding myself about what?

Disregard his comments. He comes here and pushes his opinion as fact, kind of like a oil blogger that’s known here

As you will discover, a few on here consider 0W-20, 5W-20 and the newly introduced 0W-16, the scourge of the earth because they are 'CAFE mandated'. They will also cite oil-lookup-tools for other countries showing heavier viscosity might, and often are recommended. Maybe this is because 0/5W-20s are more difficult to obtain? And finally, 'dilution is either a result of these oils or can be cured by a heavier viscosity'. They fail to cite the many UOA where this dilution (although not desired) caused any accelerated wear. Dilution is a result of engine design, not oil and will occur regardless of viscosity cushion. Like everything, there are exceptions to every rule. One being the Honda CR-V 1.5T that exhibited inordinate dilution during winters in China. Honda was forced to stop-sell until a fix was resolved. But you have a 2.0T, not a CR-V 1.5T.
These oils may be the most researched, technically advanced and used lubes today. There would be an outcry on every cable network if significant issues existed...not just the internet exasperated complaints, extrapolated and assigned to every GDi / T-GDi equipped vehicle ever made.

They all mean well. It's just that the thin v thick debate is all the rage on BITOG.

Enjoy your very nice ride...on 0W-20 or 5W-30...your pick.

Great reply. Thank you. I have no doubt a 0w20 will be just fine when changed at 5k, no matter the brand. I’m not buying into the panic some try to incite.

If anybody was really interested in XW40 oils for this engine, my take would be to pick one that meets the dexos2 standard as that includes an LSPI test.
Most people should be just fine with dexos1 Gen 2 and/or SN+ oils.

0w20 in my brand new 2.0t...all I hear is di. Lubed to the max...love it

Even on the factory fill our 1.5L is quite as a mouse.

Not going up to a 40. With a new car I'll stick with the recommended 0w20 or MAYBE a 0/5w30.

I guess with a 5k oci even the newish supertech 0w20 would be ok!

I would change the oil at 50% on the MM
using Supertech 0w20.
Get it now $16 at a Walmart near you.
You wont have to worry about shearing,dilution
or anything oil related.

Last edited:
I was actually gonna change the ff out at 3k, fill with super tech, and run til5k so then I can start my ch ages every 5. Thought about running st on a regular basis but I’d like to see a uoa first.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
...right, W20 hi Ca low Mg ...hot TGDI bad company.

What? Can you make some sense?

Bringing this back. Digging into the manual it only states 0w20 is recommended, and to use an API certified oil. No required oil, no mention of a specific API spec. That being said, I'm more comfortable with 5w30 now. Maybe I'm loose with interpretation, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back