2018 Accord 2.0t-Oil suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Bump to get some input on my question above.

There is a current thread that talks about Magnatec. It is a good oil at a great price.

Use with confidence. Although I'd probably go 7-8k max on it. That seems to be the sweet spot for it.

Going 5k. Thanks. Was just not sure since it’s so close in price to M1 and PP. perhaps it’s fairly comparable?

M1 5/30 has the HTO-06 Honda turbo spec if you can't swallow A3/B4 0/40 Edge....these are some good motor oils.

Last edited:
Not going up to a 40. With a new car I'll stick with the recommended 0w20 or MAYBE a 0/5w30.

I guess with a 5k oci even the newish supertech 0w20 would be ok!

I went M1 5/30 after 4k...felt like a coward..on paper 0/40 kills 0/20 all day..my efficiency numbers didn't change so never looked back.

remember you are talking a hot small displacement turbo engine pushing a 3,400 lb unit...ignore the CAFE dogma.

A 20 weight motor oil will handle things very well. If you feel the need for a 30 weight, there are oils that come in as a light 30 or a heavy 20. Valvoline Modern Engine is one. Pennzoil Platinum is another.

A 40 weight is overkill on this engine.

Last edited:
I'm not saying it was struggling...just think it's overkill. 0w20 are stout oils

I appreciate the thoughts of a thin 30. PP was on my list.

...on paper the add packs of 0/40 A3/B4 are +100% of 0/20, if efficiency is not effected and you won't pay more why on earth would you continue with the CAFE spec? a quarter dollar a month in fuel?

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Is magnatec still highly regarded here? Wondering if it’s a good choice in 0w20 or not, since in many places it’s close in price to PP or M1.

Magnatec is a fine oil, but not for the same price as M1 and PP (or even Castrol's own Edge)

Magnatec is in the same class as QSUD and Mobil Super Synthetic
smile.gif

But any 5w30 synthetic will be fine in your Accord with no problems.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
...on paper the add packs of 0/40 A3/B4 are +100% of 0/20, if efficiency is not effected and you won't pay more why on earth would you continue with the CAFE spec? a quarter dollar a month in fuel?

Not going to argue. It's your car. Mine is new and under warranty. You make it seem like a 40 is just so much better. It may or may not be. Paper is one thing. Real world is another. If it works for you, great. Seriously.

I can see stepping up a grade, but I've read your posts and you were all over the board. Glad you found your oill

...another aspect is the engine, really quiet on full temp W40 oil..all you'll hear is the DI and I even lube that....very enjoyable engine lubed to the max.

Last edited:
Synthetic d1g2 5W-30 from one of the majors would be my choice. If I had to stick with 0W-20, I would change it often.

If you want to be somewhere in between, I’d recommend the new d1g2 M1 AFE 0W-30.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back