Tire Plug Experts Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a small puncture in the tread of my tire and have 1 sticky Butyl plug left but I have no vulcanizing cement left, the tube was used once a while ago and it has all dried up. My question is can I just use the plug without the vulcanizing cement or should I go to Autozone and by a jar of cement or even a new kit. Why I ask I seen a video of a guy plugging his tire without cement, and also I wouldn't have to go to the autoparts store for a $6 jar of cement im only probably will use once before it also dries up. Tire plug video

Last edited:
I have always used cement. I hope by now you just wandered up to AZ and got the cement and fixed it.

I have used many plugs over the years, and never with cement. If it is going to worry you, buy the cement.

Discount Tire fixes flats for free.
They take it off and patch from the inside.

How can you beat that?

Never used cement, either and the plugs have worked very well. But, from what I understand, the wet glue acts as a lubricant making the plug easier to insert and the insertion tool easier to remove. YMMV

yeah the tire is on its last leg, Im trying to avoid taking it to a Autoshop for the only safe way to fix it is a inside patch speech and a $100 bill
mad.gif

ahh ok I see a video where the guy used Spray silicon for lube on the reamer but no cement

I wish they were from DISCOUNT tire Id do just that, they are DUNLOP AT20 tires and were on new when I bought the truck

Originally Posted By: KJSmith
Discount Tire fixes flats for free.
They take it off and patch from the inside.

How can you beat that?

Not everyone has one near them plus the wait time can be sucky. I plug my own tires and don't have issues with it.

The plugs i have don't use glue. They do come with a lube but the guy that sold me the kit said to use as little lube as possible. I say just shoved a plug in it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jrvn
I wish they were from DISCOUNT tire Id do just that, they are DUNLOP AT20 tires and were on new when I bought the truck

Discount Tire will fix any tire no matter where you bought them.

I think Big O is the same way.

FWIW, I have never used the glue, but both our fleet guys say you should.

Originally Posted By: KJSmith
Originally Posted By: jrvn

Discount Tire will fix any tire no matter where you bought them.

I think Big O is the same way.

FWIW, I have never used the glue, but both our fleet guys say you should.

Same with Goodyear. I had them fix a tire once. Didn't cost a dime. They didn't even charge for balancing. I think a lot of places do flat repairs for free now. I've gone to Town Fair tire in the past and they just charged me $4 for balancing although the flat repair was free.

I have an annoying leak in one of the tires on my Crown Vic from a nail right in the middle of the tread*... I didn't know tire repairs were free from some of these chains - that's good to know as pumping it up every few days is getting annoying.

*I suspect due to my bumper sticker the nail was intentionally placed. At least whoever did it doesn't know anything about tires and didn't put it by the sidewall to cause me real problems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back