Ever plugged a tire yourself?

Plugged my first tire the other day using a Slime kit. Other then reaming the hole out which was a beast it wasn't bad.

Discount wanted to sell me a tire instead of patching it because the side walls were scuffed up.

How about you?

Done it a number of times. On one car I felt like I was getting a nail or screw every few weeks. Definitely put to many plugs in 1 or 2 of those tires, like 6 or 7 plugs.

The reaming all depends on the size of the widget you pull out, big ol nail, reaming is easy, finishing nail, that takes more effort.

Plugged many tires over the last 40 years with no failures..

But was your tire scuffed up because it was driven on FLAT?
I have never plugged one of those as the tire structure could be damaged. I just replaced a punctured $220 motorcycle tire that I had driven on flat a half mile or so.

I've plugged many tires over the years. I just did one a few weeks ago. I had a car that had 7 plugs in it once. I wasn't interested in replacing those tires until the nearby construction work was done.

When I was working in construction I was plugging tires all the time. Even now, I can't stop myself from looking at my tires every time I approach the car, looking for nails etc.

Never. Slime has always been sufficient to fix my tire leaks :)

And the ones that slime wouldn't fix are too big for a plug anyway :sneaky:

Plugged my first tire the other day using a Slime kit. Other then reaming the hole out which was a beast it wasn't bad.

Discount wanted to sell me a tire instead of patching it because the side walls were scuffed up.

How about you?

You know, I have a neighbor who does this 4 me, but since you did it, I will do the next 1 myself!

Plugged many tires over the last 40 years with no failures..

But was your tire scuffed up because it was driven on FLAT?
I have never plugged one of those as the tire structure could be damaged. I just replaced a punctured $220 motorcycle tire that I had driven on flat a half mile or so.
Yes he said that is what caused it. I will keep an eye on it for bulges in the sidewall.

Done it many times never had a failure but a patch is much superior compared to a plug. And some locations no longer allow shops to install plugs due to possibile liability issues.

If you drove on it flat and there is visible damage to the side wall the integrity is weakened and you could have a blow out on the highway, this is why they refused and if it were my shop I would have refused as well.
When I worked at a tire shop, I never repaired a tire until I inspected it from inside out.

Back