Can this tire be saved?

Last year I picked up a giant nail in one of the winter tires of my Pathfinder. It held air for the month I needed them until I switched over to the all seasons. Post spring tire changeover, I pulled the nail out and sure enough, it leaked air out quickly.

Question is, can I plug this tire? Or is it compromised and can’t be plugged?

These are Firestone Winterforce UV tires that have been used since Dec. 2018. They have high tread and no dry rotting.

IMG_8506.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sidewall flexing would keep plug / patch from sealing. Accept the Karma, buy another tire.
That's right on the edge of the tread. Don't think there would be much flex. I would do a patch from the inside, but if you can't diy, take it to a used tire store as no new tire place will repair it for you.

That's right on the edge of the tread. Don't think there would be much flex. I would do a patch from the inside, but if you can't diy, take it to a used tire store as no new tire place will repair it for you.
I was thinking inside patch right away!

Try it.

I plugged an Eagle T/A Z tire like that, and it held fine until the tread was gone. But my first choice would be what @atikovi said, an inside patch from shop.

I think it's worth a try and I would go with a tube or even try a plug. Much less than buying a new tire. I would also put it on the rear in case it does go bad.

Last year I picked up a giant nail in one of the winter tires of my Pathfinder. It held air for the month I needed them until I switched over to the all seasons. Post spring tire changeover, I pulled the nail out and sure enough, it leaked air out quickly.

Question is, can I plug this tire? Or is it compromised and can’t be plugged?

These are Firestone Winterforce UV tires that have been used since Dec. 2018. They have high tread and no dry rotting.

There are multiple ways to look at this problem.

First, let's look at the area where the damage is. That part of the tire is at the edge of where the sidewall does all kinds of weird movement - which is why sidewalls aren't supposed to be repaired - the repairs just don't last.

But being at the edge of that means the repair MIGHT hold up if the stresses aren't too high.

And what would happen if the repair would fail? If you are at low speeds, then you'd have a flat tire. As the speed increases, it becomes more and more difficult to maintain the control of the car if the tire suddenly deflates. At the extreme end, we are talking about a rollover - very bad!!

So what speeds are the limits? Most folks in the know would say that high speed starts in the 35 to 50 mph range. My opinion is that this means if you do anything more that inner city travel, you have crossed into the high speed arena.

So how much risk are you willing to take? Remember that at the high end, we are talking about a severe crash.

Another part of the equation is what folks are willing to repair. This is clearly outside USTMA's (US Tire Manufacturers Association) guidelines for repair and many tire shops won't touch such a repair. There are shops that will do such a repair, but they just don't care about what happens. If there is an accident, they are planning that the lawsuit won't be against them - and most of the time they are right!

Personally, I don't like the odds here.

No, that’s in the sidewall. Too much flex for a patch to stay. A plug in that location would be highly questionable.

Too much risk. No shop should ever do that repair without making you sign a waiver. I highly recommend you not sign that waiver or repair that tire yourself but we’re all adults here. So I’ll just ask that you not drive beside me or my family down the interstate on your maypop if you choose to plug it.

Que the people that allegedly have ran multiple tires for 60k miles with plugs in the sidewall to tell you it’s ok 😒

I flip/flop on this subject. My car and a customer's car get different schools of thought on this.
I get it.....some people are sticklers about tire repairs. Nothing wrong with that school of thought. I've been doing repairs since I was a teenager (1980's started at Sears Tire center) and I can count on one hand how many have failed. I've used all the methods, but when a customer's car comes in I adhere to industry protocol for my clients peace of mind and my liability. Any repair, no matter how good it is, is still just a repair. But the truth is I've seen more tire failures in my career NOT related to tire repairs. Nothing in life is infallible except birth and death.
HOWEVER:
That's a small nail. My car???? I would inside patch it (using just an oval radial patch, properly vulcanized it is permanent) and keep it on the front with frequent monitoring of the area.
BUT my professional advice is: If you do mostly you do mostly high speed driving I would not even repair it.

I have plugged sidewalls on my work truck and never had a problem. People get hysterical over plugs, I've been using them for thirty years and never had one fail. I plugged the rear tire on my motorcycle and rode three years with no issues.
I prefer a patch plug OR a regular rope plug on the tread area only because a simple inside patch may allow water to get at the steel belt and start some rust, then you might have a problem. In the tread area the repair method must be a product that plugs the hole, not just sealing it from the inside. In short, a plug/patch plug in a steel belt area is less likely to fail than a straight up patch. Sidewalls only have a polyester cord in them so corrosion isn't an issue. A patch will allow you to monitor the area better.

The vendor that sells me tire repair products had been riding around in his van for years with over twenty plugs in the sidewall of his front tire......just to prove the point that a good plug (safety seal makes the best) is as reliable as anything when done properly. The extent, type and location of damage should be the most important factor in repairing a tire. A round puncture hole 6mm or less is no big deal. A slice from a shard of metal is one example of a tire I do not like to repair.

Either way, a tire that has been repaired (regardless of location and the product) should be monitored for the life of the tire. If you're not comfortable with that, replace the tire. We could debate this all day but in the end you need to do what makes you "feel good".
I absolutely WILL NOT ENDORSE AS A PERMANENT REPAIR IS FIX A FLAT OR TIRE SLIME. Those are temporary and only to get you home.

Back