Reasonable price to pay some one to detail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My grandfather has this terrible idea that he is going to handwash and detail his truck. Hes 82yo and its 100F outside so Im going to take it next week and have it detailed. I contacted a local place today and got a quote to do an inside and out for $400. Its a '13 Silverado Ext. cab 6' bed. Does that sound reasonable? I figured it would be fairly expensive.

What do you consider a "detail?" What do you want done?

$400 isn't bad... depending on the services requested. You've given us very little to work with.

Detailing is highly subjective and I think $400 is reasonable for "quality" work, but then again, I turn away tons of folks that are happy with they guy down the road doing $80 details and think $400 is way out of line. No my type of customers.

You will find pricind a wide range of prices. Our local place charges $200. It really depends how detailed of a cleaning you want. A full high quality detail will shampoo the interior, clean every interior surface, vents, polish the exterior, detail the engine bay. That could easily cost 300-500.

Most washes do a detail for about 150-185 around here. I have a specialty detailer who comes for our better customers, hes usually 325 or so. It really depends on how bad the paint is, if theyre doing a few passes and a correction its probably worth it.

As others have said, it depends on the work done! If they have to go in every nook & cranny with Q tips to clean wheels & other parts the bill climbs pretty fast, if OTOH if it's only wash, wax the outside and vacuum the inside $200 should be a reasonable price.

For this price you should expect full interior, exterior wash, paint decontamination and all in one polish. If someone tells they can do it for cheaper - walk away, you’ll end up with the trashed full of buffer trails exterior. Thousands of cars like that are on the roads

Last edited:
And as a person that makes a living detailing cars, I will never, ever give a price without seeing the vehicle. Too many variables. The best you will get is a WIDE price range from me, I learned a long time ago...never give a price over the phone ; )

Originally Posted By: parshisa
For this price you should expect full interior, exterior wash, paint decontamination and all in one polish. If someone tells they can do it for cheaper - walk away, you’ll end up with the trashed full of buffer trails exterior. Thousands of cars like that are on the roads

Okay, Ill have to ask them exactly what they are going to do for that price.I just asked for a detail, didnt think about exactly what steps are taken.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
You could also let him have his terrible idea and then help him do it, first?

Im far too lazy and unmotivated to care about car paint beyond driving it through the touchless to wash the bulk of the bug grime and bird dookey off. As far as Im concerned its a waste of time being that in about 72 hours it will look just as bad as it did before the wax job.

Originally Posted By: FastEddie
And as a person that makes a living detailing cars, I will never, ever give a price without seeing the vehicle. Too many variables. The best you will get is a WIDE price range from me, I learned a long time ago...never give a price over the phone ; )

Thats why I drove it over so they could look at it.

Last edited:
Grandpa's retired and sick of looking at Grandma all day. Let him do it, just wait for a cool day and help him. Giving your time is far more valuable than your money.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
Grandpa's retired and sick of looking at Grandma all day. Let him do it, just wait for a cool day and help him. Giving your time is far more valuable than your money.

I can't put him off until it cools. When he gets an idea in his head it has to be done ASAP. I told him I was going to have it done next week so that cooled his jets for the weekend, at least.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: philipp10

I can't put him off until it cools. When he gets an idea in his head it has to be done ASAP. I told him I was going to have it done next week so that cooled his jets for the weekend, at least.

Can you tell him you'll take the car? Then bring it to your place and detail it for him. Win win.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Can you tell him you'll take the car? Then bring it to your place and detail it for him. Win win.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

Im far too lazy and unmotivated to care about car paint beyond driving it through the touchless to wash the bulk of the bug grime and bird dookey off. As far as Im concerned its a waste of time being that in about 72 hours it will look just as bad as it did before the wax job.

Washing/waxing a vehicle by hand makes my blood boil. I cannot stand it. Because all I can think about while Im doing it is how much time and effort Im dumping into this labor intensive process knowing that in just a few short days NO ONE would be able to see all my work. The other thing is, I see all the paint chips and imperfections I dont know about before hand, being up close to the paint and having a chance to study it. Which just demoralizes me even more. Im perfectly happy not knowing that they exist and just breaking out the pressure washer and hosing the car down to wash the dust off or like I said, running it through the touchless. Im kinda glad both my CVPIs have that trash Ford White paint that comes off in 8.5x11 inch sheets; I dont feel bad about letting what little is left of the paint job deteriorate.
But, He loves his truck and wants it to look good, and I can understand so I want to help him as much as I can.

Originally Posted By: Audios
Most washes do a detail for about 150-185 around here. I have a specialty detailer who comes for our better customers, hes usually 325 or so. It really depends on how bad the paint is, if theyre doing a few passes and a correction its probably worth it.

The one around here does a basic interior cleaning with carpet shampoo for $35, but they have a full package for $250 which includes exterior and interior. They charge a little more for vans/pickups.

I have a guy down the road from my shop that does a basic interior for $30 and full details are $199, and I can now see why I am booked up 4+ weeks out charging 5-10 times as much. You get what you pay for, and thankfully, people will pay for quality...or I would be out of business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back