Cost for local detailer to do a ceramic coating on my pickup and Crosstrek

I have used a local guy to do detailing. He is mobile and has a van with pressure washer, generator and water tank. Does a good job.

He showed my a little bottle of the ceramic coating product and I think it was $500 for both vehicles but could have been $300. He seems to like to give discounts.

Is $500 a reasonable price for my two vehicles?

Should he do more than one coat? Do I need to worry about how thick a coat he applies?

I know the ceramic coating product is expensive.

I have been having him doe PowerLock+ spring and fall.

Looking for long paint protection vs showroom shine.

So Crosstrek & Ford F-250

I have used a local guy to do detailing. He is mobile and has a van with pressure washer, generator and water tank. Does a good job.

He showed my a little bottle of the ceramic coating product and I think it was $500 for both vehicles but could have been $300. He seems to like to give discounts.

Should he do more than one coat? Do I need to worry about how thick a coat he applies?

Is the product $300 / $500, or does that include the whole detail job with the ceramic applied?

I think ceramic coating is a little overrated. People act like the car is invincible after being coated and that couldn't be farther from the truth. I'd just wax the car for essentially nothing.
I tend to agree. I think the stuff is good, but horrifically overpriced for what it is. A bit like the whole "Polyglycoat" scam of the 70's.

I've used the stuff Autozone sells, (Mothers CMX Ceramic in the spray bottle). And it gives good results. It's around $23.00 @ bottle, and you can do 2 cars easily.

No doubt the stuff professional detailers use is better. But like you, I think it's overrated. $500.00 for 2 vehicles, yeah. But $1K+ for a pickup, no way, no how.

I will stick to a yearly application of Race Glaze...works for me and a lot cheaper too....

I think we could provide a better answer if you remembered what the brand of coating it was he had.

Ceramic coating do not go on thick. Any layer you put on will be tiny. That applies to pretty much any product.

For a lot less money use a ceramic spray product. Griots 3 in 1 is good. There are others. Trucks are big vehicles so a spray product used every third or fourth wash will not be expensive and will not take much extra time to do.

$500 is dirt cheap for this. Too cheap to be true. That's at $500 per vehicle. If you meant $500 for both, $250 each, that's a serious red flag and there's no chance a real coating or paint correction is being done.

$500 is dirt cheap for this. Too cheap to be true. That's at $500 per vehicle. If you meant $500 for both, $250 each, that's a serious red flag and there's no chance a real coating or paint correction is being done.
I'd be at $500 for the Crosstrek and $800 for the F-250 for a light one-step and coating.

No interior.

Since early 2008 I have not hand waxed a vehicle. I go to the car wash and hand wash and rinse. Then use the really good wax at the car wash. It still beads after several months. And it shines after a quick dry. Life's too short!

Better than Power Lock+?

PowerLock Plus is a great product! Combined with using Mother’s CMX ceramic spray sealant every third month after a hand wash, I can get a full year of protection before another detailing session (Wash, clay, polish, sealant).

I’ve used Collinite 845, also, and it’s my “go to” wax if I use wax instead of PowerLock Plus.

Full disclosure: the rides are garaged.

PowerLock Plus is a great product! Combined with using Mother’s CMX ceramic spray sealant every third month after a hand wash, I can get a full year of protection before another detailing session (Wash, clay, polish, sealant).

I’ve used Collinite 845, also, and it’s my “go to” wax if I use wax instead of PowerLock Plus.

Full disclosure: the rides are garaged.
What's a garage? Same as a tool & dog storage room except with a car rather than tools & a dog?

Appears that most of the cost is in the prep work. My brother sent me these "correction" images before and after (not his vehicle).

My brother had is Camry done by this guy.

beforeb.jpg
beforea.jpg
aftera.jpg
afterb.jpg

Back