Long drive to pick up parts as cheap as possible.

Been looking online for a tailgate and bumper for the Impreza in the same color. Mine aren’t too bad, but to bodywork that dent and paint my tailgate would probably cost nearly $500 and for the bumper, $300,

03.jpg

Only fit's 2017 and up so not many out there outside of junkyards that wanted $800 for the two. Found this ad on Facebook,

and he wanted $150 for the tailgate and $100 for the bumper that had a few scrapes. I'm ok with that, and drove nearly 400 miles round trip to pick up today. I don't think he would have shipped and certainly not for any reasonable price. And I wasn't sure it would fit in my Corolla, but took some measurements beforehand and it looked like it would. Luckily they did. Tailgate in the trunk and bumper inside. Best part is it only cost me $20 in gas. Plus I can probably sell off my damaged parts for about what I paid for the good ones.

IMG_20240220_150829068_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240220_150839450_HDR.jpg

So has anyone else gone long distance to pick up parts instead if getting them shipped?

200 miles and about 3 hours round trip for snow tires and OEM wheels for one car.
About the same for some OEM wheels for another.
250 miles and about 4 hours for wheels for a third.

In all cases the price was more than right, and two out of the three were craigslist so I doubt either would have shipped.

I met someone a while back for something i was selling on FB marketplace that said they drove about 8 hours round trip and about 500 miles for snow tires and wheels for his car... didn't tell me how good the deal was.

I have long distance delivered a couple of motorcycle engines.
Ninja 250 engine from NYC to Tennessee, and a Ninja 600 engine from NYC to New Brunswick, Canada.

Does that count?

I would if I trusted the part.

For older car parts there is sometimes no choice, but also a lot of risk if it’s not as described.

I hauled all manner of bulky parts in my Cobalt, the biggest probably being a hood. Hard to believe a hood would even fit inside the car but it did. I had to hunch down below it because it was resting on the headrests. I had to peek out from underneath to see!

My new beater Honda Fit will fit most anything I think. Most recently I bought a brand new Fiero gas tank and got a nice discount for 1) paying cash and 2) not needing to have it shipped. I don't know how they ship them otherwise.... In a crate perhaps?

If you dont take risks, you dont get rewarded I think is the bottom line here. You took a risk and it panned out for the body parts. How is the engine coming along? I would frankly get that sorted before worrying about cosmetics.

I’ll do you one better: I’m actively looking for a used car on the west coast or desert southwest so I can fly out and drive it back to Kentucky. I don’t need another used car, just looking for an excuse to have a little fun.

^ Do it, it's fun! I went NC-ME twice. Gave myself 4 days (R-Su) a one-way plane ticket, and $1100 to spend.

I love road trips for parts. I try to find a museum or other local attraction at the other end. Sometimes I get my wife to come and make a weekend trip out of it.

6 hours on the road today for this oem EV charging cable I bought for $60. Nobody else had it under $200.

Back