Surprising oil filter service interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking through a sales brochure of my old nova and noticed on the oil filter service interval it says change the first 7500 then afterwards every 15,000 miles. I would have thought gm would want it changed more often but apparently not.
It is circled in the square box in the middle of the page.

My dad's 1980 fairmont had a similar low-maintenance spiel. Remember this was less than a decade after they brought us capacitor-discharge ignition and unleaded fuel.

Sad, though, that they promise "good engine performance at all speed ranges after engine warm-up". That, to me, is expected of a new car.

Had a '76 with that engine.

REAL QUESTION: What is it with Chevy engines in familiar Chevy red AND SOMETIMES blue?

Mine ran like a watch. Sad I wasn't tallying mileage at the time.
The car had a 25 gallon tank which was a frequent comfort.

Did the six still have ignition points?
I thought that virtually all GM products for the 1975 MY had electronic ignition and a catcon. The above description makes me wonder. I can tell you that the family 1975 Caprice SBC ran a lot better than did the '73 or '74.
The laughably low power outputs make me grin.
That NA 2.4 liter Honda and 2.5 liter Subarus of recent times actually make more power is but an example of what a few decades of development can do, although these engines do need to turn considerably faster to make their peak outputs than did these old Chevies.

78 was the first year for HEI in the 6 cylinders and 74 was first year HEI for the v8's my fuel economy is really close to what the brochure said right now it is getting 19 mpg highway and around town it is getting 15.5 - 16 mpg.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Had a '76 with that engine.

REAL QUESTION: What is it with Chevy engines in familiar Chevy red AND SOMETIMES blue?

Mine ran like a watch. Sad I wasn't tallying mileage at the time.
The car had a 25 gallon tank which was a frequent comfort.

mine runs smooth like pudding im sure i could balance a quarter on the valve cover the economy is good also. My car has a 21 gallon tank and i try to not let it get below half a tank.

I like that 3800 rpm redline. With a decent set of heads, hot cam, higher compression pistons, better ignition curve, higher rear end ratio and headers you could turn that grocery getter into something interesting.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
I like that 3800 rpm redline. With a decent set of heads, hot cam, higher compression pistons, better ignition curve, higher rear end ratio and headers you could turn that grocery getter into something interesting.
banana2.gif

i got a spare engine low miles and rebuilt with a mild cam some head work and flat top pistons instead of domed not bad for 200.00 .

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
or drop-in a 502cu crate engine. lol

I prefer the six because it is different instead of a typical v8 and built right i seen these 6 cylinders embarrass a hellcat at the drag strip.

70's 80's and 90's American cars usually spec'd the oil filter change every second oil change. If you read what it says about "severe service" it wasn't so strict with most drivers falling into the normal OCI category [7,500 miles]. Oil filters have shrunk in the last 20 years and advertising has frightened people into changing their oil more often. My family had many cars in the 70s and nobody changed oil every 3,000 miles.

back when cars had little unneeded junk in them!! my basic 72 nova 2 dr 3 spd manual on the floor with the [censored] 307 engine was $2600 + tags + tax!!!! don't need no stinkin car play etc as that junk only distracts drivers like kill phones!!!

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
70's 80's and 90's American cars usually spec'd the oil filter change every second oil change. If you read what it says about "severe service" it wasn't so strict with most drivers falling into the normal OCI category [7,500 miles]. Oil filters have shrunk in the last 20 years and advertising has frightened people into changing their oil more often. My family had many cars in the 70s and nobody changed oil every 3,000 miles.

Several old Mopars in the family in the day....3k severe and 6k normal, filter changed with oil...but this WAS in the 3000 mile iffy lube advertising era...

I bought a new 75 Camaro, in San Jose CA. Billings Chev. I got the six and the total was $3500. I think it had breakerless ignition, and was the first year with a cat converter. For awhile I had to look for stations that sold unleaded. The chart does say 12 months for oil, with normal service. It doesn't mean you have to use the filter twice. Just like this stuff with no oil change lawn mowers, it isn't like they are holding a gun on you to do it. The mpg was not good on the Camaro, not at all, but I like the six cyl. 250 Chev engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back